Flo-Tek Aluminum Heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I was flipping through the latest LMC catalog this afternoon and I must have missed a few issues. I never noticed they offered aluminum heads. I knew they had performance parts, carb, HEI kits, headers and LS stuff etc... but never saw the aluminum heads list.

if you haven't seen looks like there is three options, 2 for 283-400 and a BBC application. the only difference I see for the 350 version is MAX valve lift of .550" and .650" and a $180 gap between cost(399/579.95)

Looking them up found some reviews on Speedwaymotors.com and they seem to be good for dollar.

Anyone here run these heads or know of someone running them that can shed some insight on them?
I have been slacking on my build since the motor is done and the body work is still commencing and was thinking of upgrade options that I could do to the engine while I am waiting. SO think putting a set of aluminum heads on vs the swirl ports will give more options for a better cam profile than the comp cam 12-300-4.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
Heads are the one place I will not skimp, especially when you can kick in $2-$300 more and have something like edelbrock heads. Reviews seem to be decent, but I've seen horror stories (like a pro comp dropped a valve in a BBC, very ugly). I'd stay with a factory iron head, or spend a bit more money and buy edelbrock, AFR, or some other more reputable, USA made product.

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
And you can go quite a bit more cam with a factory iron head than the cam you have listed. If your engine is TBI that may be your limiting factor more than anything.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
From what I've learned don't buy an assembled head, buy a bare head and buy quality components and have the new valves installed. Sounds silly to have a valve job done on brand new heads but you end up with a much better end result. For instance you buy an assembled AFR head where did the valves come from???? Atleast if you buy bare and buy valves seperate you will know and you can buy what you want and the springs too can be bought for your application. I know for a fact Trick Flow has there heads cast at little **** hole foundrys. There is on here in town that rough casts them along with hundreds and hundreds of LS oil pans for GM.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Heads are the one place I will not skimp, especially when you can kick in $2-$300 more and have something like edelbrock heads. Reviews seem to be decent, but I've seen horror stories (like a pro comp dropped a valve in a BBC, very ugly). I'd stay with a factory iron head, or spend a bit more money and buy edelbrock, AFR, or some other more reputable, USA made product.
I emailed them and the customer rep assured me that like all aluminum heads on the market they are all cast over seas in China. Told them thanks but no thanks I am positive there are aluminum heads made here in the states, cast and assembled. I was looking at the E streets for now.

The only piece left that is a TBI related part is the swirl port heads. The TBI and computer have both been deleted and replaced with a carburetor.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
From what I've learned don't buy an assembled head, buy a bare head and buy quality components and have the new valves installed. Sounds silly to have a valve job done on brand new heads but you end up with a much better end result. For instance you buy an assembled AFR head where did the valves come from???? Atleast if you buy bare and buy valves seperate you will know and you can buy what you want and the springs too can be bought for your application. I know for a fact Trick Flow has there heads cast at little **** hole foundrys. There is on here in town that rough casts them along with hundreds and hundreds of LS oil pans for GM.

That is why I did a bit more reading and found that Edelbrock may be the way to go. I have not searched the cost on a bare head, valves or springs. Heck I would not even know where to begin on what I would want/need. If I was more experienced and could do the valve job myself it might make sense to go that route. In due time though I plan to learn though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That is why I did a bit more reading and found that Edelbrock may be the way to go. I have not searched the cost on a bare head, valves or springs. Heck I would not even know where to begin on what I would want/need. If I was more experienced and could do the valve job myself it might make sense to go that route. In due time though I plan to learn though.
Bare heads are way cheaper and you can find deals on valves and get a cam kit with springs. I'm sure most head company's have their heads cast at small foundrys to keep THEIR costs down. Lol

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Bare heads are way cheaper and you can find deals on valves and get a cam kit with springs. I'm sure most head company's have their heads cast at small foundrys to keep THEIR costs down. Lol
I wouldn’t doubt that. I will defiantly look into and compare and see what will work best. Most of the machine shops locally are never in a hurry to get things done.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
This guy talks about "bolt on" heads abit, he knows his ****. Also has a ton of videos about diy porting, he's alittle long winded but great info.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
This guy talks about "bolt on" heads abit, he knows his ****. Also has a ton of videos about diy porting, he's alittle long winded but great info.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thanks for the video! I’ll check out his other videos and hopefully learn something. I was watching AGearHead4Life and learned a bit but not much.

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I emailed them and the customer rep assured me that like all aluminum heads on the market they are all cast over seas in China. Told them thanks but no thanks I am positive there are aluminum heads made here in the states, cast and assembled. I was looking at the E streets for now.

The only piece left that is a TBI related part is the swirl port heads. The TBI and computer have both been deleted and replaced with a carburetor.
All I know is that there is a difference between the no name brands and what you get from AFR or Edelbrock. @Honky Kong jr is right, bare heads are the way to go. I might would run a cheaper head if it was bought bare and my guy went through it. That would go a long way as to me trusting it. Also that way you end up with springs that perfectly match your cam of choice and no doubt a better valve job.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
All I know is that there is a difference between the no name brands and what you get from AFR or Edelbrock. @Honky Kong jr is right, bare heads are the way to go. I might would run a cheaper head if it was bought bare and my guy went through it. That would go a long way as to me trusting it. Also that way you end up with springs that perfectly match your cam of choice and no doubt a better valve job.

After watching the above video I might be going with the bare heads and buying parts separate. Do it right the first time kind of deal here.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks for the video! I’ll check out his other videos and hopefully learn something. I was watching AGearHead4Life and learned a bit but not much.
This guy tells it like it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84