Fleetside bed price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC_Nick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350 sbc
Swapping from an 8ft fleet side bed to an 8ft step-side bed over the summer. What do you guys think a fair price for bedsides/tailgate with no rot and only a few minor dents go for? Prices range all over the place so I'm just trying to get an idea. I'd sell the bed as a whole but the floor is pretty rough and all the rails are just about all rotted out. (pictures for some reference)

Attachments

• IMG_20190930_171722402_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190930_171722402_HDR.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190930_171727749.jpg
    IMG_20190930_171727749.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 68

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Swapping from an 8ft fleet side bed to an 8ft step-side bed over the summer. What do you guys think a fair price for bedsides/tailgate with no rot and only a few minor dents go for? Prices range all over the place so I'm just trying to get an idea. I'd sell the bed as a whole but the floor is pretty rough and all the rails are just about all rotted out. (pictures for some reference)
good luck finding a 8 foot bed

they exist but may have rust and need new floor likely

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
also that bed is MINT
You must be registered for see images attach

there a little bit of disbelief suspension and you got a great bed again like me

GMC_Nick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350 sbc
good luck finding a 8 foot bed

they exist but may have rust and need new floor likely
Got a nice one from AZ I'm picking up from a guy at the spring Carlisle show, took me 3+ years to find one that was nice and all there. Not alot of people like em but I love the things

Attachments

• received_1329523444157790.jpeg
    received_1329523444157790.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 68

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Got a nice one from AZ I'm picking up from a guy at the spring Carlisle show, took me 3+ years to find one that was nice and all there. Not alot of people like em but I love the things
i BELIEVe it wasnt unheard of to be able to have a rear step 2 but im not sure when

Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 "Big 10"
Engine Size
350 4-bolt
Nice find! I'm toying with the idea of finding a short bed step, but I'll have to find out if they made one with fillers for dual tanks first. I like my 32-gallon capacity more than the idea of a stepside, and I'm terrible at fabricating anything but scrap metal.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Nice find! I'm toying with the idea of finding a short bed step, but I'll have to find out if they made one with fillers for dual tanks first. I like my 32-gallon capacity more than the idea of a stepside, and I'm terrible at fabricating anything but scrap metal.
short answer is no

but you can do something yourself, the fender design and stuff I think i rememebere reading they did a cross over decentlyAlso a custom gas tank could be fit where needed too
if you have decent room with exhaust, mounted inside the frame rail with a 45 degree slant in it is popular esp older trucks who had **** gas tank sizes

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The longer answer is they made squarebody short bed step sides with fillers on the right on the older trucks (exposed gas cap) and left side on newer trucks (fuel door).
The challenges are, proper hardware, filler pipes and the right hoses are sort of a crap shoot to find and you'd have to change one "style" for the other if you were consistent in appearance.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Nick Heilman, sorry for the off topic. No real idea on price, but half of what a clean whole bed is going for sounds about right. Probably more marketable if you disassemble and have the pices sitting there ready for someone to bolt on.
Repop bed sides, new, are $500-1000 per side and tailgates $200-400 (cheap lightweight to OE quality). If they're truly rust free, and only little dings, I could see $1000 or close to it back east for the 3 pieces. (OE parts for the cost of cheap re-pops)

GMC_Nick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350 sbc
@Nick Heilman, sorry for the off topic. No real idea on price, but half of what a clean whole bed is going for sounds about right. Probably more marketable if you disassemble and have the pices sitting there ready for someone to bolt on.
Repop bed sides, new, are $500-1000 per side and tailgates $200-400 (cheap lightweight to OE quality). If they're truly rust free, and only little dings, I could see $1000 or close to it back east for the 3 pieces. (OE parts for the cost of cheap re-pops)A
All good, that's what I was thinking something like $400-500 a side. probably $200 for the tailgate with the band. Paid $1600 for the bed so I'm hoping to get at least half back so i can get all the right fuel door hoses, bumper, lights etc and I was going to cut the wood because the kits are way overpriced for the longbeds

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ummm, he's selling, not buying...
He very much appears to have bought the bed mentioned and the post is about the bed he has which he would part with since the one he got is going on.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
He very much appears to have bought the bed mentioned and the post is about the bed he has which he would part with since the one he got is going on.
Yup, so why would he need "good luck finding a 8 foot bed"?

Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 "Big 10"
Engine Size
350 4-bolt
short answer is no

but you can do something yourself, the fender design and stuff I think i rememebere reading they did a cross over decentlyAlso a custom gas tank could be fit where needed too
if you have decent room with exhaust, mounted inside the frame rail with a 45 degree slant in it is popular esp older trucks who had **** gas tank sizes
The longer answer is they made squarebody short bed step sides with fillers on the right on the older trucks (exposed gas cap) and left side on newer trucks (fuel door).
The challenges are, proper hardware, filler pipes and the right hoses are sort of a crap shoot to find and you'd have to change one "style" for the other if you were consistent in appearance.
Yep, sounds like way too much work for a purely aesthetic modification.
My skills are purely mechanical. The moment anything needs cutting, welding, or fabricating more than what a few caveman blows with a hammer can achieve, I'm looking to buy the part or sidestep the project. I know my limits. I've attempted welding twice. The first time, I managed to weld the tip of the welder shut. The second time, I set fire to the project car (thank God I remembered the fire extinguisher). :crazy:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Got a nice one from AZ I'm picking up from a guy at the spring Carlisle show, took me 3+ years to find one that was nice and all there. Not a lot of people like em but I love the things
Nice score on the 8 foot stepside! So info you might already know, that early stepside would have round tail lights. Later stepside would have a Grote style rectangular tail light with a side marker. The fender side marker in red, is somewhat rare.

You also mentioned about recouping some funds. If the right side bed marker is as nice as the left side, you could probably sell or trade them for the value of complete newer style tail lights. Then you would have the correct style tail lights for your year truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84