Fixing leaks by kick panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meowmeow

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Hey all, I've got an 82 K1500 heat-only cab. Long story short interior was completely soaked and covered in mold after being left out for a few weeks. A window might've been left cracked open too but there are definitely leaks even with everything closed. Took my entire interior out and trying to figure out all my leaks. On a side note, the truck is from California, remarkably very little rust other than surface rust on it.

One thing I'm looking at is the kick panels. The gaskets on mine are extremely brittle and dried out. Does anyone know where to get them? I see them available here: https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-chevy-gmc/interior-panels/cc-1973-87-air-vent-components-without-ac but not sure if there is somewhere to get an "OEM" one. Also watched this video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
and it says to use a weatherstripping self-adhesive strip. Has anyone done anything like that successfully?

The other issue is the seam at the bottom of the sheet metal below the kick panel. Looks like there is a crack in it that could let water seep in. Can I just put some seam sealer over this?

I'm also going to be checking out the windshield gaskets and the seam under the cowling.

Thanks

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
You can get new sealing material from Classic Parts of America and LMC Truck Parts. Does it have a radio? My brother's 81 leaked where the antennae lead came in. Did not realize it was coming from there for a long time. He was going crazy trying to find the leak. I discovered it by accident. Sealed it with RTV.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Most likely from under the cowling

Latest posts

Forum statistics