Fixing Floppy Sun Visors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
Howdy. So when I got my Suburban (1987) the sunvisors had been removed. I put them back up, and while the driver's side seems fine, the passenger side won't stay up (just flops/hangs straight down). In fact, I see where someone had stuck a piece of velcro on there to hold it up. But surely there's a way to tighten it back up somehow? I didn't see any way, but there has to be something, right? It's in great shape otherwise, so I hate to replace it, but any tips/ideas on what to do? I appreciate it, I'm sure this has been covered before but I didn't see anything...
thanks,

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Make the metal rod “fatter”. Wrap with tin HVAC seam tape.
Slide the visor from the rod, clean with rubbing alcohol, wrap with a layer or two of the metal seam tape/ metal duct tape.

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
so just slide the visor off the pin? I'll have to try that when I get home, I think I still have some of that foil tape leftover from a project...thanks...

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
The brackets have a spring up inside the hole, behind where they screw in to the headliner. As with most things like that, they wear out over time. I just replaced mine last week with new brackets from LMC. They actually say right on the page where you order them, that one tip to help old ones stay up better, is to put a slight bend up in each rod.

I'd recommend you start with bending them, and go from there if you don't want to spend any money. If they're still not holding, then I'd get new brackets and screws, but you could possibly need new visors, if they don't fit on the rods tightly.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
The brackets have a spring up inside the hole, behind where they screw in to the headliner. As with most things like that, they wear out over time. I just replaced mine last week with new brackets from LMC. They actually say right on the page where you order them, that one tip to help old ones stay up better, is to put a slight bend in each rod.

I'd recommend you start with bending them, and go from there if you don't want to spend any money. If they're still not holding, then I'd get new brackets and screws, but you could possibly need new visors, if they don't fit on the rods tightly.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Later model 89,90 and 91 trucks have a hanger for the viser to clip into but I think his 87 doesn't so this would work for him

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a driver's side and passenger side visor I will donate if you need them. Not perfect but solid shape.

BigDaddy72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Chassis Cab
Engine Size
The metal sleeve they slide into can be pushed open from pulling on them as well if you wrap the visor with a micro fiber you can pinch the sleeve back down closing the opened up gap with c-clamp vise grips.

BigDaddy72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Chassis Cab
Engine Size
Ps clamp with the rod in so you don’t collapse the sleeve. Do it in several spots along the length of the visor they will stop flopping.

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
Thanks Shorty81 for the offer, and thanks everyone for the tips. I tried the gentle/careful clamping with a giant C clamp, and it seems to be working! It's held up so far, so I'll keep my fingers crossed, and move on to the next item on the list. Thanks,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54