Fixing an automatic shifter arm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
The column i recently installed in my c10 that i got from my buddy is nice, so much better than the jerry rigged 3 speed column with a ziptie.
The only issue is , the shifter arm doesnt return back to its place, it just stays up against the wheel unless i push it back. Normally i wouldnt care, but it quickly became annoying when i would accidentally pop it into 2nd gear or neutral....

When i got the column the arm was missing, so i stole one off a later year automatic and installed it.

Is there some sort of return spring im just missing?

Thanks

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The column i recently installed in my c10 that i got from my buddy is nice, so much better than the jerry rigged 3 speed column with a ziptie.
The only issue is , the shifter arm doesnt return back to its place, it just stays up against the wheel unless i push it back. Normally i wouldnt care, but it quickly became annoying when i would accidentally pop it into 2nd gear or neutral....

When i got the column the arm was missing, so i stole one off a later year automatic and installed it.

Thanks

Yes, there is a return spring on the base of the shifter arm that should be pushing it to go back down

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

Thanks

Here you go vince https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/shifter-on-steering-column-lose.24917/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL