Fitting of twin gas tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi all, I'm wanting to fit twin tanks to my '76 Silverado short bed, I managed to get another tank and brackets to do the job, however l need to fit the recess in the L/H panel to mount the filler. I could weld in another section from a donor panel but they are not that easy to obtain here. Was wondering if anybody else has got around this problem with another option,
cheers Dave.
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
let me check to see if an old piece of panel from a long gone truck has it cut out. do you know what it would look like under the trim?

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Have you considered a Flush mount fuel filler in the bed?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Have you considered a Flush mount fuel filler in the bed?
Ohhhh, he meant the doors for the bed. I thought he meant switch on dash. I seeeeeee. I have a bed with two flush mount fillers, but its 1978, 79+ iirc is door. I am curious as to options, too, as Im using a passenger only bed with a driver only saddle tank, and my fender has a hole cut in it to access it... from the top.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for your replies, I am a stickler for standard/original look bodywork. I don't want the gas filler doors from the later trucks. That would be too easy! If I could get a panel section cutout that the standard filler tube mounts to, it would be good. A flush mount filler in the bed itself isn't my thing, hard to access if your loaded. (the bed, not me!) I did think of leaving the filler neck in the inner rear wheel tub, but I am concerned about damage from rocks/gravel. Still open to ideas.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
You could graft a patch panel from a Donor truck, (although you said they’re hard to find in Australia). A new bed side with filler hole ?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Believe me... you dont want it in the bed fender thing. You dont. Unless you are okay with and understand that you could hinge an access door in that said comparment, but you would want to verify or assure that you ALWAYS have it cleared out around it so that you can put gas in. One way to do so, perhaps, is to make a small tool box over the fender well and maybe keep a spare quart of oil, jumpers, etc and when you open it, have a direct shot down to the fill cap(maybe another door) or you could buy new bedside/replacement panels... eh. New is really only justifyable when you are restoring. They are a pretty penny.

When I said flush mount I meant that old style, but i suppose its not flush with panel in the technical sense. But yeah, I have that style on an old trailer of mine. If I werent considering using it again in future, id offer to cut up... but I might have an old bedside out on my property, i can look to see if it has the kind you seek.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
My truck had a dealer installed aux tank, and it looked like they had just estimated the position and used a hole saw to add the 2nd filler. I’ve since replaced the entire bed, so I don’t have a picture of what they did.

Bruce

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
not very elegant... could always have the fill port straight vertical even with bed. looks weird af but keeps it unobstructed.

MARIOS DELIVOS

Reaction score
First Name
MARIOS
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 2WD,M1008 4WD
Engine Size
5.0V8,6.2 V8 DIESEL
Hi all, I'm wanting to fit twin tanks to my '76 Silverado short bed, I managed to get another tank and brackets to do the job, however l need to fit the recess in the L/H panel to mount the filler. I could weld in another section from a donor panel but they are not that easy to obtain here. Was wondering if anybody else has got around this problem with another option,
cheers Dave.

You can buy a used fuel filler neck like mine just needs a round hole .....

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Any need still present? my driver side does NOT have the hole but the passenger does.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sorted this problem out ! Thank you to all who offered suggestions, but after a bit of thought, over a few beers, and that is when l do my best creative thinking, l went down this path.
I made up bit of crude tooling with bits and pieces l had in the shed. (refer photo) I shaped 2 MDF pieces to match the curvature of the panel inside and out, hole sawed, (98mm inner and 89mm outer) the 4" pipe piece is used to clamp up the actual panel in between the MDF, with the 3/4" allthread running right through the centre, backed up with 8mm steel plates and 3/4" nuts. This prevents the panel distorting. The stub of 2" pipe keeps the back piece centrered in the 2" hole. Tighten the internal nut and the die presses in!
Also mask off panel prior to starting and do a sample piece before it goes anywhere near the panel. A day to make the tool and 10 minutes to drill and press.
Cracked the paint a bit, but l did expect that. I used a 2" holesaw through the panel, and the hole stretched to 2.5".
I know there are people out there who could make a much more accurate tool with right equipment, but l used what was available to me and l wanted to share this with you,
Dave

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size