First Engine Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wreck

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hello everyone.

This is my first post on here, been lurking for a while and I finally decided it was time to join the fun. This is gonna be a long one...

Anyways, I have a 350 to put together to go into my '87 R10. I'm pretty certain it is a Crate motor of some sort according to the casting codes. It has 993 casting heads, an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, and a set of headers (not sure on brand). It came out of another '87 R10 that my uncle bought and replaced with an LS3. According to him it was losing water somewhere and had a miss, both of which may not be due to the engine itself, but I'll have the block and heads gone through just to be certain. The truck currently has a TH350, but I'd really like an overdrive, so I'm gonna try to find a solid 700R4 to put in too.

Ok, so finally I get to my questions. I'm planning to go with an aftermarket TBI like the E-Street system, Holley Avenger or Terminator, or the Fast EFI system. No clue which one yet. So my first question pertains to that: anyone have any experience with those systems that can help me? I'd love to have a more modern MPI system like a Pro-Flo, but I just can't afford the pricetag. I expect this to be the single largest expense on the motor.

Next on the docket is a new camshaft. This will be a semi-daily driver, so I'm looking for good street driveability and some good low-end torque. I'm not planning to spin the motor past 5000 rpm. Help me sort through the sea of cam options here!

Last thing is ignition. I'm thinking MSD all around. MSD has a 6AL ignition kit for SBC motors. What direction should I be looking here?

Sorry for the long post. I'm very new to all this stuff, so I'm trying to do all the research I can before diving in. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that all '87 model trucks were originally equipped with factory throttle body injection. If enough of the original harnesses are still present, it may be cheaper to put that back on instead of going aftermarket.

Wreck

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure you're correct. But this engine was almost certainty not originally in that truck. The casting #s on the block and heads appear to be from around '79ish. I have them written down somewhere so I can recheck to be certain. Besides, the intake manifold is for a carb. Looks like whoever had that truck before my uncle got it swapped the original tbi motor for this carb motor, so I doubt there's any of the harness left.

I have considered using an OEM tbi unit and hopping it up a bit, spacers, bore it out, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, etc.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A 79 block would need to have different heads as well. They changed the bolt holes in the 86 and new heads compared to the 85 and older.

Wreck

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
You mean like for A/C, power steering pump, and alternator?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You mean like for A/C, power steering pump, and alternator?

No for the intake manifold. The 4 inner holes are angled differently after 1986.

Wreck

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I see. These heads and manifold were attached to the motor when I got it. But I can check the bolt patterns when I get home to confirm if it's pre-1986. Will 1987 accessories fit on a pre-1986 engine?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
How about the Valve covers... bolts down the center or around the outside edge?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Wreck

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Outside edges. That's pre-1986 right?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yup

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Unless it has aftermarket heads that have provisions for both.

Wreck

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I'll check that when I get home. I'm pretty sure the heads are OEM. I still think the engine is a crate motor or warranty replacement.

Is there an intake manifold for tbi on the market that will retrofit onto a pre-86 engine? What about the alternator, a/c, and power steering pump on my '87? Will they bolt on the older engine?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yup you can use all your old brackets and such. Idk about the intake but if need be the center bolt holes can be modified to work

Wreck

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Ok, so an OEM tbi unit may work on that manifold with a little modification. What about the aftermarket systems I mentioned above? I know those are made to retrofit onto carb engines. Anyone have any experience with any of those? What about choosing a cam and ignition system?

Thanks for the responses so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k