Fire Extinguisher

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I want to get one in the truck before winter gets here. How many of you have them? Where did you mount them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I don't have one but this is a good reminder that I should buy one. I'm guessing I'll mount it behind the seat.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I thought about that but my seat doesn't fold forward. It slides forward about 4 inches if you have somebody on the passengers side to help push. I'd hate for my truck to burn to the ground because I couldn't get to my extinguisher lol.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
cucv's have them mounted on trans tunnel

slowgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500 3+3
Engine Size
454, nv4500, 205, 4.56 rp
Get the tall skinny one it fits between the door and the seat in front of the seat belts

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
The PO had one in mine, it's not mounted. It sits behind the seat or on the floorboard on the passenger side.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have one sitting behind the seat on mine.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I lost a K30 wrecker because I didn't have one to fire. we mount them inside of light pylon now on drivers side. trans tunnel is a good place for one also along with passenger side kick panel standing up by door

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm thinking about putting a small one up by the dome light.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I'm thinking about putting a small one up by the dome light.

Anything small enough to fit up there won't be much use for putting out a fire. The standard size dry chemical extinguishers you see in vehicles are around 2 lb 8oz. - 2 lb. 11 oz. and average only 10 seconds of use time.

I've been to several fire safety seminars where we practiced using extinguishers and even under controlled conditions the operator would spaz-out and waste most of the dry chemical because they didn't know where to aim. Not good when you have limited chemical to put out a fire.

The one real car fire I was at erupted right in front of me in a parking lot. First thing the driver did was pop the hood and get a face full of flames. I ran over with my extinguisher and handed it to him but he didn't know how to use it. He was squeezing the handle and shaking the bottle but it wouldn't work. I had to take it back and pull the pin before putting out the flames myself.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I know fire extinguishers are required in all commercial vehicles by law as well as the triangles. A friend watched a guy burn to death in a upside S10 that couldn't get his seatbelt off and no one could get close for flames. Another time a drunk flipped his car down street from my old shop and was half ejected though windshield of his upside down car. We ran down there to check it out. I swore guy was dead from blood and way car was on top of him. Car burst into flames from battery shorting on hood and oil running out of engine. We were able to use the fire extinguisher from neighbors semi to put it out. Guy woke up shortly after that and slid himself out from under car and started walking around. He said his friends were trapped inside the car yet so we kept knocking fire out a couple more times till fire dept showed up. His friends were Captain Morgan and Jack Daniels we later found lol

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Reminds me of a story my neighbor told me. Her dad used to work for Arizona DPS (this was some decades ago) and rolled up on an accident. It was out in the middle of nowhere and Fire crews were a ways out. The truck was on fire and the driver was trapped, pinned inside the vehicle. There wasn't anything that he could do to get the driver out so he handed him his sidearm and walked away.

That had to be rough from both sides. Choosing whether to shoot yourself or burn alive is a choice I hope I never have to make. Waiting to hear if the guy is going to scream in agony or blow his brains out isn't a good way to spend time either.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Reminds me of a story my neighbor told me. Her dad used to work for Arizona DPS (this was some decades ago) and rolled up on an accident. It was out in the middle of nowhere and Fire crews were a ways out. The truck was on fire and the driver was trapped, pinned inside the vehicle. There wasn't anything that he could do to get the driver out so he handed him his sidearm and walked away.

That had to be rough from both sides. Choosing whether to shoot yourself or burn alive is a choice I hope I never have to make. Waiting to hear if the guy is going to scream in agony or blow his brains out isn't a good way to spend time either.

That's not cool. It would be a tough choice, but at least he was given a choice. Maybe I should get 2 fire extinguishers.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Ever since I got my truck, I've had an extinguisher in it right behind my seat.

Just never know if you or someone else is gonna need it.

attachment.php

carlgm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Truck Year
'85
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Putting it on the floor either behind or next to the driver's seat makes makes it easy to access.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969