Finding my old 78 k10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dieseldave01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew a way to find a old truck that you used to own. I'd love to find my old 1978 k10 long bed that I sold 15 yrs or so ago. I found the vin number but I can't really find a place online that seems legit. I talked to license branch and title dept and they are unable to do a search and if they had info they couldn't give it to me. I talk to the owner that bought it from me but he sold it and couldn't recall a name or number of who it was. Thanks for any suggestions

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

86454k30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
CHEVROLET
Engine Size
So I ran into the same thing a couple years ago looking for an 81 pickup my Dad sold in 86. I had the VIN so I ran a Carfax which told me the town it was last registered in. I then ran a wanted ad in the local newspaper and 2 months later I got a text from the guy who had the truck. Unless you know someone in law enforcement the VIN information is all private unfortunately. The DMV "might" tell you if it is currently registered, that might help if to continue your search or not. They will NOT tell you who owns it though.

Dieseldave01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
So I ran into the same thing a couple years ago looking for an 81 pickup my Dad sold in 86. I had the VIN so I ran a Carfax which told me the town it was last registered in. I then ran a wanted ad in the local newspaper and 2 months later I got a text from the guy who had the truck. Unless you know someone in law enforcement the VIN information is all private unfortunately. The DMV "might" tell you if it is currently registered, that might help if to continue your search or not. They will NOT tell you who owns it though.
Thanks. I wondered if a carfax would pull anything on something that old. I'll give it a try.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Your CarFax might hit on a shop where it had maintenance done recently, which would be a big help if they were willing to disclose contact info or at least ask the owner if they’d be willing to talk to you.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have gotten VIN info before by claiming the vehicle is abandoned in my yard that a friend left it here but it's not his truck. It's not reported stolen but I'd like to find out whose it is so they can either come get it or sell it to me. You sign and affidavit for the reason you need to know pay like $2 and you get it. As a process server / PR I was able to get them just by checking for legal investigative matter. Usually come in handy when trying to locate a target to serve papers.

Dieseldave01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I have gotten VIN info before by claiming the vehicle is abandoned in my yard that a friend left it here but it's not his truck. It's not reported stolen but I'd like to find out whose it is so they can either come get it or sell it to me. You sign and affidavit for the reason you need to know pay like $2 and you get it. As a process server / PR I was able to get them just by checking for legal investigative matter. Usually come in handy when trying to locate a target to serve papers.
[emoji848]

Dieseldave01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Your CarFax might hit on a shop where it had maintenance done recently, which would be a big help if they were willing to disclose contact info or at least ask the owner if they’d be willing to talk to you.
Good point. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115