Finally pulled the trigger. My C10 Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
So after much debating back and forth if I should do this or just buy a shortbed truck, I've decided to just take the fun route and build something.... Man I've got a shitload of work to do. So here's what I'm starting with:

1984 C10 Scottsdale Lwb 305 C.I.D (I think)

As of now I've already removed the carpet and tape that the previous owner used to cover interior holes and rust spots.

I've also removed the rear bumper, bed and the passenger door.

Now to move on to my goals for this project.

Im not looking to build a drag truck, or a track truck I want to build something to have fun with. I just want to make a functional truck that looks good, and that I can maintain and work on myself but also go around smoking your average bolt on mustang. Not looking to beat any twin turbo coyotes or anything like that.

Im planning on a weiand 8-71 blown 454. My goal is 600+ whp. Im also wanting to go from automatic to a 6 speed t56 just for the fun factor.

This will be my first time doing this kinda project and also my first time messing with an older vehicle. Ive done several ls powered cars but strictly power modifications. I'm an auto mechanic by profession and I'm also not loaded with money so patience, classifieds, used parts, and my local junk yards are all my friends lol this is a budget build also. Within reason. Ive got several friends with shops and warehouses with two post lifts that will be helping as well.

Im mostly here for the advice and experience of those who have done this before me. And also because I've got a **** ton of questions haha
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Looks like a fun project! Welcome aboard.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Looks like a fun project! Welcome aboard.
Thank you sir! And yes, so far it's been a lot of fun. I've come to find out things unbolt off very easily compared to the modern cars I've worked on. [emoji23]

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Thank you sir! And yes, so far it's been a lot of fun. I've come to find out things unbolt off very easily compared to the modern cars I've worked on. [emoji23]

Is that because everything is coated in oil? That's the usual program with this old stuff.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
So I wanted to add this pic to my thread. I don't know whose truck this is, it's just an picture off instagram. But this is what I'm shooting for as far as how low I want to go.

I want to do a static drop. I'm not crazy about air bags, or hydraulics even though I respect every enthusiasts likes and wants. It's just not for me. Anyways, here are some of my first questions:

To those of you with a better trained eye than myself, about how many inches of drop is this? Front? Rear?

How involved is it to achieve this ride height? What mods am I looking at? Bolt ons? Extra frame work?

I can see that truck has drums on the rear, I'm gonna be upgrading to a locking G80 differential from a newer silverado and I'm thinking of carrying over the caliper brackets to convert to discs. Am i being realistic? Again im a noob to this and I'm brain storming so feel free to correct me and tell me I've no clue what I'm doing lol

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Is that because everything is coated in oil? That's the usual program with this old stuff.
Nah, my truck doesn't have many oil leaks, just the engine oil pan, valve covers, front and rear seals and out of the oil pressure switch and the transmission oil pan... Thats it lol. [emoji23]

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Nah, my truck doesn't have many oil leaks, just the engine oil pan, valve covers, front and rear seals and out of the oil pressure switch and the transmission oil pan... Thats it lol. [emoji23]

Man, you got a good one then. Congratulations!!

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Man, you got a good one then. Congratulations!!
Man I'm just being sarcastic lol my **** pisses oil and yes it's got that permanent chassis lubrication package that comes with the tailgater bumper lubrication option [emoji23][emoji23]

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
So anyone have any idea on what drop that truck in the picture has?

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I would guess it's a 5/7 drop.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
I would guess it's a 5/7 drop.
Thank you! Yeah that sounds about right. Least now I've got something to keep me busy for a bit!

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
There’s lots of ways to get there so good luck with it. I finally settled on a lowering kit for my crew cab dually and I’ve been waiting for it for 7 months so far and they’re telling me it will be 2 more at least. I think it’s because it’s a one ton and I doubt you’ll have any issues get C10 parts.

John Salyards

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Nice ...wish I had that much room to work on mine . The drive way will have to do lol
So after much debating back and forth if I should do this or just buy a shortbed truck, I've decided to just take the fun route and build something.... Man I've got a shitload of work to do. So here's what I'm starting with:

1984 C10 Scottsdale Lwb 305 C.I.D (I think)

As of now I've already removed the carpet and tape that the previous owner used to cover interior holes and rust spots.

I've also removed the rear bumper, bed and the passenger door.

Now to move on to my goals for this project.

Im not looking to build a drag truck, or a track truck I want to build something to have fun with. I just want to make a functional truck that looks good, and that I can maintain and work on myself but also go around smoking your average bolt on mustang. Not looking to beat any twin turbo coyotes or anything like that.

Im planning on a weiand 8-71 blown 454. My goal is 600+ whp. Im also wanting to go from automatic to a 6 speed t56 just for the fun factor.

This will be my first time doing this kinda project and also my first time messing with an older vehicle. Ive done several ls powered cars but strictly power modifications. I'm an auto mechanic by profession and I'm also not loaded with money so patience, classifieds, used parts, and my local junk yards are all my friends lol this is a budget build also. Within reason. Ive got several friends with shops and warehouses with two post lifts that will be helping as well.

Im mostly here for the advice and experience of those who have done this before me. And also because I've got a **** ton of questions haha

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
There’s lots of ways to get there so good luck with it. I finally settled on a lowering kit for my crew cab dually and I’ve been waiting for it for 7 months so far and they’re telling me it will be 2 more at least. I think it’s because it’s a one ton and I doubt you’ll have any issues get C10 parts.
Damn!!! In 9 months women make babies lol you would think it'd be enough to make a lowering kit lol good luck bro!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shepard te