Fender emblem Paint color

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Does anyone have a color or paint source for the gold color on this badge? I am thinking of repainting the gold color. I was thinking of going to Lowe's and looking through the colors and getting an exterior oil paint in a little sample jar that they make up. If it's right useing that to paint it, since it won't take a half an ounce of paint to do the job .

You must be registered for see images attach

86454k30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
CHEVROLET
Engine Size
I repainted my camper special cab corner trim with "new machinery yellow" pretty dang close match. I got it at O'reilly auto parts in aerosol.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I repainted my camper special cab corner trim with "new machinery yellow" pretty dang close match. I got it at O'reilly auto parts in aerosol.
I guess I need to look at some original pics. To me I would describe it as a mustard yellow/goodish color. Maybe that's what it has faded too?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Probably a trademark friendly "New Cat Yellow" which is also a close match.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The late 70's Silverado (and some other trims) fender emblems had a champaign gold type color in the lettering.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
After a google search it may seem the years were slightly different. Some were mustard/yellow, some had black, and some had a black background.

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size

Tester’s model paint. Yellow with several drops of black makes a dirty yellow. Top is repaint, bottom is original. Red is straight out of the bottle. Couple drops of thinner and the paint flows rather nicely. Let it dry a little while and wipe lightly across the tops of the letters to remove any misplaced “dabs”. I think it’s just fine for my “driver”.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Tester’s model paint. Yellow with several drops of black makes a dirty yellow. Top is repaint, bottom is original. Red is straight out of the bottle. Couple drops of thinner and the paint flows rather nicely. Let it dry a little while and wipe lightly across the tops of the letters to remove any misplaced “dabs”. I think it’s just fine for my “driver”.
How long ago did you do it? How has it held up? I worry about useing anything other than exterior paint cause of the UV killing it and fading it out.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
One Shot 191L Imitation Gold is the color that matches really close to the original emblems without the metallic paint.
https://www.1shot.com/One-Shot/colors/Lettering-Enamels.aspx
Cool. I wonder how much it costs? Closest place to me is 56 miles. For a driver not sure how much I would want to spend what they want and drive that far. Although I am on the road for work and may be a lot closer to one than I may think during my travels.

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
How long ago did you do it? How has it held up? I worry about useing anything other than exterior paint cause of the UV killing it and fading it out.
I just repainted them and they’ve not yet seen the light of day. I hope they wear well but mine pop off pretty easy if they don’t.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
3 years ago I painted my badges on my 76, the fender badges I did with rustoleum and the cab headband I did with testors for the yellow. The rustoleum has held up very nicely and the testors has/is faded, but I attribute to that being my fault as I painted them outside during the summertime heat, so it dried really fast and I didn't get much build in the layer.

However, I think thinning the testors a little and painting indoors would work pretty good.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok I have two coats on this one. I think I may put a third on it. The top one is how the look after being removed from my truck. These I know are not the original because there is not threads cut into the studs from the original mounting nuts. These were attached with barrel nuts. They were obviously done on a previous paint job in the past. Not sure when it was last painted. But I would guess it to be at least 20-25 years ago. Had some pretty rusty spots when I got it in 2004.

I decided not to get the emblem paint from that website that was like $15+ shipping, I'm sure. I am cheap. This is not a show truck or a correct restoration, just making it look better for a daily driver and to me. Plus no one but me or another square body but would know it's not the exact color. But to me it has a retro yellow look as a color that you would of seen out of the 60-80s. I got a spray can of Rust-Oleum from Lowe's. It's called Tuscan yellow. It cost about $4.50 a can. I spray a little bit into a cup and use a small artist brush to paint it. Takes awhile for each coat but I am happy with the results. I need to get some barrel nuts and finish them now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg