1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Father/son 1990 Suburban project

Discussion in '4wd Suburban, Blazer and Jimmy' started by mcarlo86, Nov 23, 2019.

1. mcarlo86

mcarlo86 Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    I purchased a 1990 V1500 Suburban this spring as a project vehicle for my son and I to work on to be his first vehicle. We are a family of 7, so I was looking for something that the whole family can ride in and also serve as something I can teach our kids how to repair and maintain. So, why not a square body Suburban? Originally I wanted to find a round eye 4X4 with a manual transmission since I thought they would be simpler to work on and the kids could learn to drive a stick also. I came across this one though and decided it was the one for us since the body was solid and the engine is pretty fresh. Plans are to go through it mechanically, then freshen up the interior, and finally re-paint it. It has a 350 TBI w/700R4 currently. We have ideas of maybe doing a NV4500 swap in the future. I will post more pics of progress as we go. IMG_1195.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    82Diesel, Old77, TubeTruck and 2 others like this.
  2. mcarlo86

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    One of the first things we had to tackle was the tail lights/signal lights weren't working. Put it up on the hoist and did some investigating and found a mess. Previous owner had spliced a trailer light plug in with scotch locks that were badly corroded and also found some bad wires. I cut out all the corrosion and repaired the wires and then put in a new trailer light plug using the proper adaptor. IMG_1447.jpeg IMG_1448.jpeg IMG_1450.jpeg IMG_1454.jpeg

IMG_1456.jpeg

Snoots, TubeTruck and Big Chip like this.
  3. mcarlo86

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    The 2nd row seat belts are both messed up (one won't retract and the other won't extend), so we decided we would try to modify the seat belts from an 84 C10 parts pickup we have and see if we could make due for a while until I can locate the correct ones from a junk yard or somewhere else. We figured out that if we trimmed about an inch off the bottom of the plastic cover on the drivers sided assembly and flatten out the mounting plate from the C10, it would fit. It is very tight against the handle for the seat release, but it does work. The passenger side won't work though because the handle for the seat release is in the way. The seat belt assemblies from the 84 pickup are taller than the suburban 2nd row ones and are a bit wider as well. So I guess we were able to get one working for now. Does anyone have blue 2nd row seat belt assemblies that work that they would be willing to sell? ;)

The first pic is the 84 C10, second pic is looking at the belt assembly in the suburban, and the 3rd pic is showing the 84 C10 belt assembly installed in the suburban on the drivers side.

IMG_1609.jpeg IMG_1610.jpeg 59624112896__CE7A05A1-336B-4596-8DFC-AA9252D631B4.jpeg

4. Snoots

Snoots Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Roger
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Jimmy Sierra
    Engine Size:
    Vbb199 likes this.
  5. Vbb199

Vbb199 B-rate Hillbilly Customs Supporting Member

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    91 Blazer V1500- "K5ton", 87 K10 Suburban, 89 Suburban R1500
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350
    Do let me know if you need anything!
    Go to the GMSB classifieds ad thread, under "for sale" and look for my 1987 k10 burb I'm parting out...
    Shoot me a pm and let me know what you need, or text me at 704-738-8300 and I can send pictures!

I have plenty of goodies left that are unclaimed!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mcarlo86 likes this.
  6. mcarlo86

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    I noticed the other day that when I locked the hubs in, there is a pretty good shake/vibration when I get up to highway speeds. I decided to put the suburban up on the hoist and check out the front drive shaft. When I got it up there, I found that the front drivers side wheel was awful loose. Guess we need to do wheel bearings too. We had a heck of a time getting the inner most nut off. P.O. must have cross-threaded it on. I had to use a breaker bar and cheater pipe the whole way off with it. Going to probably have to chase the threads on the spindle and get a new nut before that goes back together. I was pleased to find that the bearings and races appear to be in good shape yet. They are Timken ones that say made in the USA. I'm going to pull apart the other side too and hopefully things come apart easier on that side. Anyways, here are some pics with my dad helping my son doing his first wheel bearing job. :banana-mario: IMG_1627.jpeg IMG_1631.jpeg IMG_1634.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  7. mcarlo86

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    Finally got some time this evening to update this thread. We got the wheel bearings re-packed, installed new brake pads, and I ordered a new front driveshaft since the spines were shot on the old one. When I got the driveshaft (a Cardone reman one...we'll see how this turns out) from our local Auto Value parts store, it had a larger yoke on it than the original one. I asked them if they ordered the wrong driveshaft, and they showed me the part number and it is supposed to be correct. I had to get a combination u-joint to make it work. I really thought hard about ordering a shaft from Dennys driveshafts, but we are on a budget and decided to go the less expensive route at this time. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me later. Anyways, got the driveshaft on and took it for a spin and all the vibration is gone. So far so good. Next on the list is repairing the dash pad. IMG_1655.jpeg

Snoots, FireTruck1984 and Shorty81 like this.
  8. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    I'm gonna bet they use shafts from newer trucks and tube them for the right length as needed.

mcarlo86 likes this.
  9. Overland Suburban

Overland Suburban Full Access Member

First Name:
    Tracy
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    5.7 tbi
    Nice Suburban! Looks like your doing what I'm doing with mine! Keep it drivable while upgrading one project at a time. Nice you got a father son project as well! Looking forward to seeing what you do next

Thanks for sharing your project friend

:cheers:

Tracy

mcarlo86 likes this.
  10. rjohn

rjohn Junior Member

First Name:
    rich
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    k1500 suburban
    Engine Size:
    Will be following this truck is a twin to mine

mcarlo86 likes this.
  11. TubeTruck

TubeTruck I like anything fast enough to do something stupid

First Name:
    Denis
    Truck Year:
    1978, 1975
    Truck Model:
    Suburban K10, GMC K15
    Engine Size:
    400ci, 350ci
    Cool! Another burb build :happy107:

mcarlo86 likes this.
  12. mcarlo86

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    We started into the dash pad project the other day. I pulled the dash pad from our '84 C10 parts pickup to experiment on. We are going to follow the procedure from this thread: https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/how-to-refurbish-your-dashpad.8614/

I cut out the curled up cracked parts and sanded it down. We found an old heavy plastic dealer plate that we cut to size to fill in the center speaker hole and glued that in place. Then my son foamed it with a little guidance from me. Hopefully it will turn out ok. This dash pad is not as nice as the one in the thread mentioned above. IMG_1673.jpeg 60246089204__B26FE7E8-F8A2-496B-AC24-87E1BC992023.jpeg 60246164569__8F6E3941-9652-4A33-801B-C85864A91DDE.jpeg

GXPWeasel likes this.
  13. mcarlo86

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    The plan is to shave down the foam tomorrow, apply plastic weld to the foamed areas, then sand it again and paint it. I am thinking about doing a bed liner coat first and then hopefully finding a nice satin paint that will be close to the original blue color. Does anyone have any suggestions on brand/type of paint and a color that will match close to the original blue? I am thinking of the satin peacock blue that Krylon has either in the Fusion or colormaster lines??

14. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    What is the plan for the corner speaker holes?

That plastic dealer plate ides is a good one btw.

15. mcarlo86

First Name:
    Brian
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    Didn't get around to working on the dash more today, work got in the way. The plan right now is to put some grills on the corners. I'm not sure if I like the looks of that, but I am not real sure what else to do with them. We are planning to paint the grills and the bolts blue so they won't stick out quite so badly. I want to keep the corner speakers for now. Maybe someday we will put some in the doors and eliminate the corner ones.