Fan hitting fan shroud when flexed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Just wondering if anybody has experienced this problem, I've been doing an ass load of plowing lately in the Northeast, it seems as every time the front suspension is flexed, I hear the fan hitting the fan shroud, and little ropes of plastic around as evidence. It's not a big deal just wondering if this has happened to anybody else and a reason why. I noticed when I first bought the truck there was a big chunk missing out of the plastic shroud I'm not overly concerned, just a topic to talk about.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just wondering if anybody has experienced this problem, I've been doing an ass load of plowing lately in the Northeast, it seems as every time the front suspension is flexed, I hear the fan hitting the fan shroud, and little ropes of plastic around as evidence. It's not a big deal just wondering if this has happened to anybody else and a reason why. I noticed when I first bought the truck there was a big chunk missing out of the plastic shroud I'm not overly concerned, just a topic to talk about.
If the shroud is mounted properly maybe check the motor mounts.Raise your hood and get on the brake in gear and rev it to see if the motor moves and the fan hits the shroud

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I'd check the plow mounts on the frame and the frame itself, if you've been doing that much plowing??

Usmczo6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I will check the motor mounts, I've been pushing back snow Banks, that's when it seems to happen the most

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Usmczo6,

Yeah, I'd say it was a motor mount, and that's probably when it happened when it bit that chunk out of the shroud.

Also, you do need to get that fixed pronto because if you are using your vehicle as much as you say you are, that busted motor mount is cutting back on your horse power to shove the snow or whatever you're pushing and it's causing much stress on the trans to and it's mount. You'll get more power to the rear wheels if all the power is going to the rear instead of part of it being lost as the engine twists and part of the power goes into the frame, and the physics are all messed up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell