Family budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Ok let's get right to it, I have a 1987 Chevy R10 Custom Deluxe 8' bed that I'm restoring, pulled the original 4.3l v6 (128,000) miles out and replacing with a 87 350 block,
used SUM-SBCKIT3-300 rebuild kit, Installed
COMP Cams Thumpr Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam and Lifter Kits K12-600-4, this is where I stopped.
I was going to install aluminum heads, but since this is a tight budget Build I decided to go with vortec heads to keep the cost down. Started looking into these heads..
Summit Racing® Vortec Cylinder Heads SUM-151124
I intend on using the FI tech fuel system.
So I'm looking for suggestions for either an intake or heads/intake combo.

This is going to be fun day/Sunday drive truck.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
:welcome: from northern IL!

Another PA guy. How many of you are out there? Seems like PA is crawling with squarebodies! lol

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
:welcome: from northern IL!

Another PA guy. How many of you are out there? Seems like PA is crawling with squarebodies! lol

A lot, we are taking over the world!

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Hi Red welcome and thanks for joining..

Good choice on the heads, but have them inspected before you install them. Don't blindly trust the machining in particular, valve stem clearance and valve to seat seal. A quick test is just to spray some wd40 into the ports and see if any leaks past the valve seats.

I think you could have done better with the cam choice... You want your cam to produce torque, not a lumpy idle. Anyway you already have it so
let 'er rip.

Intake... any dual plane for a Vortec style head. There's always something used for sale, and it will be cheap. Even something old school will work.
Yes the new intakes are better than the old but by how much..?

Again, the best and most important choice (heads), you have done well with that.

As far as your rebuild kit, I wouldn't use the 4 piece oil pan gasket. Get the one piece blue rubber units for keeping your driveway clean.

What did you get done with the block? Was it honed to oversize? Decked? Align bored? I would have at least pre-assembled it, installing the crank and two rods/pistons... number 1 and 8... then with a dial indicator I would measure where these pistons are at TDC relative to the deck height.
Honestly though, I don't know generally speaking how bad late '80s SBs are for bad deck height. I do know the BBs can be really bad in this area. Like .050 below the deck...! Dang only gets 9 miles per gallon...!

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Hi Red welcome and thanks for joining..

Good choice on the heads, but have them inspected before you install them. Don't blindly trust the machining in particular, valve stem clearance and valve to seat seal. A quick test is just to spray some wd40 into the ports and see if any leaks past the valve seats.

I think you could have done better with the cam choice... You want your cam to produce torque, not a lumpy idle. Anyway you already have it so
let 'er rip.

Intake... any dual plane for a Vortec style head. There's always something used for sale, and it will be cheap. Even something old school will work.
Yes the new intakes are better than the old but by how much..?

Again, the best and most important choice (heads), you have done well with that.

As far as your rebuild kit, I wouldn't use the 4 piece oil pan gasket. Get the one piece blue rubber units for keeping your driveway clean.

What did you get done with the block? Was it honed to oversize? Decked? Align bored? I would have at least pre-assembled it, installing the crank and two rods/pistons... number 1 and 8... then with a dial indicator I would measure where these pistons are at TDC relative to the deck height.
Honestly though, I don't know generally speaking how bad late '80s SBs are for bad deck height. I do know the BBs can be really bad in this area. Like .050 below the deck...! Dang only gets 9 miles per gallon...!

Thanks for the info, the more I read the more I find out other options for the Cam.. But non the less, i will make the best of it.

The block was cleaned and machined. Typical bore .030 over and everything was squared and checked. The machine shop was an old salt and did everything by have and the old school way so I know for sure it's right. It's tough to compare to computer mock up but they are very precise.

I did purchase the felt pro one piece oil pan and valve cover gaskets. Having spent many hours chasing leaks back in the day. I want as little problems with this build is possible. Minimize the low hanging fruit if you will.

Thanks for the advice with checking on the heads, I was going to use the matching valve springs that came have with the cam kit. What's your thoughts. Plus I know when something gets shipped it usually gets knocked around a bit.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Thanks for the info, the more I read the more I find out other options for the Cam.. But non the less, i will make the best of it.

The block was cleaned and machined. Typical bore .030 over and everything was squared and checked. The machine shop was an old salt and did everything by have and the old school way so I know for sure it's right. It's tough to compare to computer mock up but they are very precise.

I did purchase the felt pro one piece oil pan and valve cover gaskets. Having spent many hours chasing leaks back in the day. I want as little problems with this build is possible. Minimize the low hanging fruit if you will.

Thanks for the advice with checking on the heads, I was going to use the matching valve springs that came have with the cam kit. What's your thoughts. Plus I know when something gets shipped it usually gets knocked around a bit.

run the springs that come with the cam. Since you have lined the pockets of your local machine shop, they will be happy to inspect the heads and valve guide clearances.
Also have then verify there is enough room for the springs to compress without binding. Not like you have a high lift cam, but just something that takes a moment to check and can save a lot of grief should there be... spring bind!

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Do you have any option to sell that cam and get one that is a better match? Something with a duration in the range of 214-218 @ .050 would work a lot better.

The cam you have will sound good but won’t develop good torque until you get up to about 2500 rpm. It’s a better match to a light vehicle with low gears and a 4 speed or auto with a high stall converter.

Bruce