Factory style tach conversion kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I purchased a factory style conversion kit for my 77 C20 from Brothers. The kit included the tach, small fuel gauge, tach harness, circuit board sheet, and new lens cover. When I tried to install the kit the tach would not fit in my original 77 housing. The tach connections did not align with the original fuel gauge through holes. The tach needs a much bigger through hole to clear. As you may know the circuit board sheet is the wiring connection for this gauge cluster. On the kit as mentioned a new circuit board sheet is supplied. I compared the new sheet vs the original one and there are no connection points for the tach but there are 4 studs plus the wiring harness to the distributor on the back of the tach. Can I just cut a clearance hole in my housing to make the tach function? So far Brothers has not been any help. They said they would send me a housing that would work but so far nothing. Any comments welcome.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don't believe the circuit sheet connects to the tach at all. The harness is stand alone. I am in the middle of converting mine using a factory tach. I cut an opening for the tach harness with a dremel, just making sure the circuit sheet wasn't damaged. Haven't tested it yet though.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I drilled a hole large enough to clear the tach connectors and that seemed to work fine. Went to install the small fuel gauge and there is a bigger problem. There are no holes for the printed circuit board connectors and they are square in shape making it difficult to cut and get it just right to install the connector lugs for the gauge. Would I be better off ordering a new gauge cluster housing? My concern will the 78 up housing fit my 77? I am poed with Brothers right now as they advertise their conversion kit as everything for the tach conversion and they haven't given me any support on resolving the problem.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I worked on my housing this weekend and incurred even a bigger problem in this conversion. The small fuel gauge doesn't even come close to fitting and will require major cutting up of the housing and making a place for the small fuel gauge to attach to on the left side of the housing. Dmack how are you doing with your conversion?

davidfmortensen

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1979 1979
Truck Model
Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
I am having the same issues any one resolve theirs yet? Brothers sucks big time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I cut the boss (1 inch/1/2 inch the boss isn't same height all the way around) where the small fuel gauge goes to allow the gauge to drop in. The gauge mounting hole lines up with the stock screw location on the right side. On the left side I made a small right angle bracket to mount the gauge to and glued it to the housing (body panel adhesive). There are no slots for the connector lugs to attach to the gauge so I plan to hard wire the fuel gauge.
I can post some photo's if you like. The Brothers kit will not work without major mods or a 77 tach housing which so far I haven't seen one that is not outrageously priced.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I did the same as Icfman, but looks like I have a bad tach, so not sure which direction I will go now.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
DMach can't you return the tach to Brothers and get another one?

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Dmack what ever happened to you and your tach issue?

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Haven't worried about it yet. Mine was pulled from a c50 and untested, not a new one from brothers. Been reassembling the truck and will decide how I want to proceed later.

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's a picture of the back of a C60 gauge cluster with a tach and mechanical oil pressure. You can see the back is totally different than a standard gauge truck (First link). The second is also for a C60 or bigger, but it has a 4K tach, electrical oil pressure and a 150 LBS air gauge (Second link).

http://www.2040-parts.com/chevrolet...-gauge-cluster-with-overspeed-warning-i22630/

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=31290.0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl