Extra I-Beam for gantry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buickspec6231

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
In my recent home building experience, I have acquired an extra 24' of W14x34 I-Beam. I needed 26' for my ridge beam, but had to buy the whole 50' length.

I have wanted to build a gantry for a while, and always found the price of I-beams on the second hand market mirrored new prices, so I never dove in.

Does anyone have a good program/website/knowledge base to help determine what my single point load capacity of this beam would be? I'm not looking to get anyone's name to put this in writing. I'm not an engineer, nor are many of you. I'm not looking for a huge capacity, but would like to be able to get 2-3 ton out of it, over a 20-22ft span.

This may not be the right beam for this project. But I already own it. Trying to see if I should keep it or sell it off.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I bought my gantry used. The beam is 12' long, 7" tall and 4" wide. I do not know how many lbs per foot it is and it is labeled "1ton". Several times I've swapped 6.5TDs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes