extended bumpstops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've had a Pro Comp 6" lift on my truck for a number years now. I installed poly bumpstops, 4" I believe, and of course the ones at the rear are no where close to actually doing anything. Anyone have ideas on how to lower the rear bump stops? I thought of buying heavy duty steel rectangular tubing and cutting, drilling, and installing between the bumpstop and the frame, but not sure of it's stability.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I know energy suspension has some big longer poly ones for uyp front might have some for the rear as well.

I never really saw a need for em on a lifted truck. I understand stock or close and hauling you might need some. I guess on a lifted truck if it flexes enough it might hit?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I never really saw a need for em on a lifted truck. I understand stock or close and hauling you might need some.

I thought the same thing. I removed the front left stop because it was a good spot for my compressor's regulator and needed the hole. The front suspension can't flex far enough to need the stops because the 35" tires hit the inner wheel well first, and the back end has Ride-Rites to maintain clearance.

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I know energy suspension has some big longer poly ones for uyp front might have some for the rear as well.

I never really saw a need for em on a lifted truck. I understand stock or close and hauling you might need some. I guess on a lifted truck if it flexes enough it might hit?
Bottoming out your shocks repeatedly will blow them out or bend them. I had thoughts of making some out of tube. It all depends on how it squats.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Bottoming out your shocks repeatedly will blow them out or bend them. I had thoughts of making some out of tube. It all depends on how it squats.

lol I'm braindead today, forgot about shock's limit.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
For the front you can get some 4 inch square tube, cut them in about 2 or three inch width (enough to fit in the brackets), and screw your bump stop to one end, then tack weld a bolt on the end that goes into where the bump stop was, and put a not on top of it...

Use a slightly different thought pattern for the rear (do the rear even have bump stops). I can't recall if my K5 does to be fair but I am sure there are some on the frame rail which makes me think the square tube would work there as well too.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
For the front you can get some 4 inch square tube, cut them in about 2 or three inch width (enough to fit in the brackets), and screw your bump stop to one end, then tack weld a bolt on the end that goes into where the bump stop was, and put a not on top of it...

Use a slightly different thought pattern for the rear (do the rear even have bump stops). I can't recall if my K5 does to be fair but I am sure there are some on the frame rail which makes me think the square tube would work there as well too.
Yes they are on a stamped steel bracket.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
That is what I was thinking. One of those things where i draw a blank unless I am standing there looking at it. Only thing i might do with the square tubular steel bump stop extenders is box them in a little on one side to add strength.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota