Expedition Type Bed Rack/Rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I've been contemplating doing a tube rack for a canvas top similar to a soft top.

I bed you could do something pretty similar and utilize tabs on the tubes to mount the panels to it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Something similar to that, minus the actual basket on top. Mounts along the bed rails utilizing the stake holes. Square/rectangular tube would probably work best to allow you an easier flat mounting surface.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
I've actually been turning ideas over and over in my head and am starting to develop a plan.. A completely modular approach that will allow rails, or a ladder rack without lengthwise stiffeners/extenders over the cab, or with them, or all of that with insulated panel inserts, and also a locking tonneau style cover over the bed with or without the ladder rack... And I can build it a system at a time..

I just need to come up with a good pocket mount that doesn't cost a fortune...

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I've been contemplating doing a tube rack for a canvas top similar to a soft top.

I bed you could do something pretty similar and utilize tabs on the tubes to mount the panels to it.

Something similar to that, minus the actual basket on top. Mounts along the bed rails utilizing the stake holes. Square/rectangular tube would probably work best to allow you an easier flat mounting surface.

I've never been a fan of racks or toppers, any thjng really that would block being able to load or unload engines or axles, but that thing is badass! Has expedition rig written all over it.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
For the stake mounts, I was gonna run rectangle tubing (I think the holes are 1x2"), stick weld a nut to the end of the plate and then close it up. Use a bolt and tighten it up through the bottom of the stakehole. The rears could use the same style, just but with using a horizontal bolt since there isn't access to the bottom.

Picture was just general reference for the overall frame design. Pretty much two lengths of flat bar, with tubes bent to the shape of the cab (or a simple rectangle if you prefer). I believe the angle of the cab is about 15 degrees off the vertical.

For hard paneling the sides, should make them interlock so that they dont separate back and forth with vibrations or with the temperature. Last thing you'd want is for it to get freezing only to hear it start shrinking and cracks forming and you lose your whole temperature barrier.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I like that. And I'd leave the basket on top too. I think that adds to it, also adds strength while going to give the truck the Expedition Vehicle or Bug Out Vehicle type look. I bet that thing isn't cheap. Kinda what I've been thinking about for the K10.

Not only does the basket work as a basket, are those LED lights or vents? If not LED's, I'd be building some in. Not spot light type, but all around ambient type light.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
For the stake mounts, I was gonna run rectangle tubing (I think the holes are 1x2"), stick weld a nut to the end of the plate and then close it up. Use a bolt and tighten it up through the bottom of the stakehole. The rears could use the same style, just but with using a horizontal bolt since there isn't access to the bottom.

Picture was just general reference for the overall frame design. Pretty much two lengths of flat bar, with tubes bent to the shape of the cab (or a simple rectangle if you prefer). I believe the angle of the cab is about 15 degrees off the vertical.

For hard paneling the sides, should make them interlock so that they dont separate back and forth with vibrations or with the temperature. Last thing you'd want is for it to get freezing only to hear it start shrinking and cracks forming and you lose your whole temperature barrier.

I agree using square tubing for the stake pockets then maybe a lock bolt in 4 of the stake pockets to keep it from coming off, but yet be able to remove it. I don't care for the 90 degree metal rubbing on the top of the bed, plus having to drill holes in the top to mount it. I too would want it to flow with the shape of the back of the cab. Using that for the idea, something very cool could be made.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Lol, did you guys even notice the built in winch and spare suspended from the ceiling?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You know, looking at that, I wonder if it was designed to go on the back of a k5 instead of the fiberglass shell. After I look at it a bit it appears to be fairly short. Not to say that longer versions couldn't be available though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, I did. That would be cool in assisting loading heavy things. Also gave me the idea of just getting one of the cable lift systems out from under a GMT400 pick up to hang the spare tire. At first I didn't like that idea, but after some thought, it has it's advantages. And the tire being under instead of over, it won't add to the height of the vehicle when trail riding.

I've got a collection of **** that I want on my truck. Straps, Hi-Lift Jack, Snatch blocks, small shovel, full size shovel, axe, pick axe, chains, tire plug kit, spare tire, spare front driveshaft, etc. Things you might need if you got stuck or broke way out on a trail somewhere. I've had this Expedition type vehicle thing in mind for quite some time. I've even maybe though of POSSIBLY doing something similar but making it out of flat bed, and using metal mesh or diamond mesh to close part of it in so my dogs can ride too and not have to worry about them jumping out. I'm just not a big fan of flat beds on SRW pick ups. They can be done right though and then wouldn't be bad at all. Could actually be pretty damn kick ass in fact.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OH I forgot to mention Jerry cans, aka gas cans. And I'd need a place for a small generator too but I have an idea for that, and a different idea if I was to go flat bed. If I went flatbed, it would be mounted behind a door under the flat bed. Gotta have a place to secure a couple long guns too as well a couple hand guns and ammo. Fishing pole rack etc. I've had some idea for awhile. Kinda why I like this thing. I'd have to do some serious mods to make this one work, but it gave me some ideas how to do what I want to do.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You know, looking at that, I wonder if it was designed to go on the back of a k5 instead of the fiberglass shell. After I look at it a bit it appears to be fairly short. Not to say that longer versions couldn't be available though.

It might be. I prefer the idea of stake pocket mounting better so it could be taken off and not trash the top of the bed rails. The idea can be worked on and perfected.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's some others I've gotten ideas from.. That black Burb has some overkill on it. Like the hood rack? WTF?

Attachments

• BBurb3.jpg
    BBurb3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,096
  • Buggy.jpg
    Buggy.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 618
  • BlazerCaged.jpg
    BlazerCaged.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 388
  • Crawler1.jpg
    Crawler1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 817
  • CagedSquare.jpg
    CagedSquare.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 303

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
My thought was to use flat stock to lay on top of the rails with tube going into each stake hole. A bolt through the front 4 stake holes will lock it into place.

Use rubber or neoprene strip for a gasket to prevent damage to the bed rails.

It was someone elses drawing that I found on expedition portal that had a similar idea to mine. But yeah, those look like 6" led bars all around it with probably light force 240 or 180's.

If you take a look at the Smurf k5 on ck5, you'll see that he used his front winch across the roof and rack to raise and lower his rear tire carrier. Helps save the back when running 37's or larger too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just don't think you'd need the flat steel on the bedside if you did 4 stake pockets. Especially if you ran bolts through the square tubing and stake pockets. The stake pockets are already drilled with biggo bolt holes for that reason.

I got one of those cheap Harbor Freight pipe bender tools in a horse trade I did with a buddy. Actually the phuker owed me some cash that I knew I was never going to get it so I offered to take $50 off the cash he owed me for it. At any rate, I got that in hopes it's tough enough to bend some tubing. It'll be tough doing it that way, but I think I can get it done then I just have to find someone to weld it all together for me since I don't like the way my welds look.

What guage and what size tubing would you use to build something like this?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just thought of a drawback to the spare tire being under the rack. I don't care for my center rear view mirror being blocked. :shrug: I could live with it for daily driver, but not for trail riding when I'd have kids and dogs in the back. I'll want to make sure everyone is sitting down and not jumping out or getting banged around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave