Engine Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nokota

Reaction score
First Name
matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Good Morning All!

I'd like to thank everyone in advance and I hope I am in the right section -- Please let me know if I'm not :)

Okay, an oldie, but a goodie: I ran out of gas, added fuel and now it won't start.

The specs:

--Rochester Quadrajet 4 barrel carb
--350 5.7L Chevy engine - stripped, no emission, straight pipe, no cat
--Engine-mount fuel pump
--Electric choke

This is what I've done so far: added fuel, checked filters, made sure fuel was primed, attempted to start with fuel added directly to carb along with starter fluid, no go...

So then I swapped the carb. No change. Attempted all the same as above.

Vehicle has power, alternator works, distributor is firing, engine attempts to turn - belts move, the thing just won't fire. I even tried pull-starting it... You can hear it trying, it just won't go.

Any and all help welcome! Thank you all very much!

PS: It's already frozen up here in the north, and the vehicle sat for 3 days before getting fuel added.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Verify actual spark at the spark plugs.(easy way is to use spare spark plug and use it plugged to spark plug wire with end grounded). If it has good spark and fuel, next is timing check followed by compression and then close inspection of the valve train if still having issues

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The two things that struck me in your description are that it ran out of gas and how cold it’s gotten where you are. You might have picked up some junk from the bottom of the tank when you ran it out of gas. Try actuating the throttle while looking down into the carb primaries. You should see two streams of gas, one on each side, that spray only while you’re moving the throttle. I doubt it’s the carb since you tried replacing it, but it could be a clogged strainer or a pump problem. Also, you said it’s cold. When it gets into the teens or below, especially when the distributor isn’t tightened right, it can move in the retarded direction, IIRC, and cause issues. If the timing was already not correct, and now it’s X* ATDC, that could be a problem. As mentioned above, check for spark also. It’s probably something simple.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
attempted to start with fuel added directly to carb along with starter fluid, no go...

engine attempts to turn -

If adding fuel to carb and starting fluid doesn't fire it up even a little then it's not a fuel issue and more likely a spark issue. I'd pull a plug or two and check the condition and see if they have spark. Are they wet? I just went through the same thing, I flooded it... plugs smelled of gas, and a lot of fuel in the crankcase.

And when you say attempts to turn.....are you saying it turns slow?

nokota

Reaction score
First Name
matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

It's pretty much what I feared, that I'm going to have to start digging in the middle of the winter and freezing cold, but I was actually hoping for a xmas miracle at this joyous time of year. The distributor is brand new / correctly timed and with the vehicle being so old I am almost sure the plugs are fouled from the tank emptying out. Now I need to find a warm place so I start pulling stuff. I will make sure to post my findings.

Thanks again!

nokota

Reaction score
First Name
matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Sorry Dan ..

The moter jerks and turns slowly with the pulse of the ignition.

nokota

Reaction score
First Name
matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well.
No luck with the plugs,they are dry even after pumping throtle,they show normal wear.....
The timing was played with from left to right and no change....
The battery is charged and the carb checked,still nothing.
Now it seemes to me that the fuel is not geting into the chambers?
The carb floods after just a few taps to the throtle just like the first carb.
??? cloged intake ???? ....mabye bad ignition switch on colum??
well its cold,dark and windy,we have a blizzard comming so I will have to dig the truck out another day and keep trying.

Last edited:

nokota

Reaction score
First Name
matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
oh yes.....
bolth the engine and carb are rebuilt as of this fall and up to this point have worked as expected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128