Engine warm up question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
Hey guys just finished doing the radiator on my k10 and it cools well with no leaks, only at warmup it goes a past operating lever about 1/8 of the guage and then goes back down 30 seconds later. I don't recall it doing that before. Obviously it does that because of the thermostat I'm guessing but do you guys think this means i need a new thermostat or that there is still some air left in there????

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Sounds relatively normal. I don’t think mine goes as far as 1/8th up the gauge, but it does go a little higher (5 degrees?) and then drops down to normal (about 185-190 on my mechanical gauge).

Trapped air is usually not a big issue in the cooling systems of these trucks. Did your thermostat have a small hole drilled in the area around the valve? I drilled one in my old stock thermostat, and the high flow thermostat I purchased later has a hole with a loose rivet in it to allow a little flow all the time.

Bruce

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
I haven't touched the thermostat since I've had the truck as I've only had it for a few months so I dont know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL