Engine to Firewall Ground

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I just discovered that the copper strap on the left rear of the engine is completely broken (separated) from the fitting that attaches to the head. Since truck runs fine and everything works like it should, is it safe to keep driving the truck until I get it repaired? The bolt in the head is going to be a bitch to remove.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I have seen lots of those ground straps either broken or missing. Ideally, it should be there. Just make a ground strap from 10 gauge wire and a couple of ring terminals. Find a bolt or stud that’s easily to reach on the intake manifold, problem solved. Just make sure to clean any dirt or paint from the surface for a good connection.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks Matt, that's what I'll do.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
You will be fine enough.
Our previous owners mechanic cut ours off many moons ago and left it to hang limp and sad.
We are going to replace it here in a day or two just to make the ground path as good as possible.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
you can buy ground straps anywhere.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Now that I have aluminum heads, intake and of coarse the transmission, what's the best place to attach a ground wire on the engine?
Aluminum isn't the best conductor.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Now that I have aluminum heads, intake and of coarse the transmission, what's the best place to attach a ground wire on the engine?
Aluminum isn't the best conductor.
Aluminum is an excellent conductor. They use to make house wiring out of it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Engine body and frame should all be grounded,mystery problems can appear without all 3 grounds. Remember the engine is on rubber mounts,the cab is on rubber mounts. So Engine,frame and body are theoretically isolated from each other.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Aluminum is an excellent conductor. They use to make house wiring out of it.
Well, that is true, forgot about that, but remembered everyone saying don't use it in MY house.
Thanks for the info and reminder, Richard.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ideally there should be a ground strap or connection from the engine block to the firewall. There's a bolt hole drilled/tapped in a V8 block right behind the #8 cylinder for exactly this reason. Of course, getting to that location is very hard, best to have a 6-year-old kid wiggle in there to do it. If you don't have any little kids handy, adults can do it with much scraping and cursing.

While your heads may be good conductive aluminum, remember you have a head gasket that is specially designed to isolate the head from the block. best to have a solid ground connection to the block. Your spark plugs depend on that ground or some other ground to fire. More common ground points can only help.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The ground from the head to the body is for electrical noise.Your engine should get its ground directly through the negative battery cable,to the block,because your starter and alternator are the most amperage dependant components on your vehicle. Body ground and frame ground can be to engine block or negative battery terminal. All other accessory grounds should be to body or frame.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I have seen lots of those ground straps either broken or missing. Ideally, it should be there. Just make a ground strap from 10 gauge wire and a couple of ring terminals. Find a bolt or stud that’s easily to reach on the intake manifold, problem solved. Just make sure to clean any dirt or paint from the surface for a good connection.
That's what is on mine on the right head. Might hold up longer than the copper braided wire

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I made sure I would not have a grounding issue.

Battery to Frame - 4g
Frame to Engine - 4g
Frame to Cab - 4g
Frame to Bed - 10g (maybe 8g?)

I don't have the one from engine to cab though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito