Engine swap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Wood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 cid. / 5.7L
So, I am pretty happy with the performance on my 1 ton truck with the TBI 350 engine...

I mean, yeah it COULD be better but it is pretty good.

Now I also have a 1975 Jeep Cherokee with a 258 straight 6 in it and although very reliable it is a dog on power.

Where I live it's uphill everywhere you go it seems and the Jeep just don't pull the hills well...

I can pick up an 80's TI 350 for cheap and am thinking about putting one in the Jeep.

Adapters to fit the T-18 in the Jeep to the 350 is easy to find....

How much computer type crap is there? Lots of extra wiring?

Like I said, I can get a trans adapter and I can fabricate motor mounts so the wiring is all that would concern me.

Any idea on how much aggravation it would be?

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Im not sure on the wiring, but ive been looking for a running 258 for my wife's cj. I might be interested in yours after the swap, if youd ship to missouri and the price wasnt too bad. Did you know that the 4.0 head is all but a direct swap on the 258 block. I want to build her a 258 with 4.0 head, hotter cam, headers and a weber 38 carb. I was going to use the 258 i have but it ate a piston and i wasnt planning on boring it. Let me kno if you swap and want to sell the 258

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’ve seen people do that in Cherokees before, and they didn’t seem to be daunted by the wiring. The engine harness and TBI stuff are pretty straightforward, I think. Once you had a spot for your ECM and your harness went into the engine bay, there’s not that much going on to make it work properly. You can look at a pinout of the 7727 ECM and see what all the wires go to. It’s mostly sensors, fuel relay, and a few to the transmission. Not needing lockup would make it a little easier, but if you ever did want an auto, the provisions are there. There might be some adapting Jeep sending units to your engine, but that’s just a matter of finding the right adapters if a gauge isn’t working right. Also, the older TBI used a VSS buffer that was a Hall Effect sensor that plugged into the back of the cluster. This might be the hardest thing to figure out, at least I would think so. If later Jeep clusters had something similar in the 1980s, and those could fit in your truck, that might be all you need. I don’t know if or how a VSS in your gearbox would work, but there’s gotta be a workaround there.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
if you get one for a manual transmission you shouldnt need the vss/hall effect input. The ecm isnt water proof so you need to mount it where it wont get wet.

Michael Wood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 cid. / 5.7L
Im not sure on the wiring, but ive been looking for a running 258 for my wife's cj. I might be interested in yours after the swap, if youd ship to missouri and the price wasnt too bad. Did you know that the 4.0 head is all but a direct swap on the 258 block. I want to build her a 258 with 4.0 head, hotter cam, headers and a weber 38 carb. I was going to use the 258 i have but it ate a piston and i wasnt planning on boring it. Let me kno if you swap and want to sell the 258

Shipping to Missouri probably wouldn't be cheap at all. I would think you could find a 258 where you live easily, they came in about every AMC car and Jeep out there.

I am still deciding on a V8 swap or keeping the 258 and rebuilding it.

Keeping the 258 would include......

Bring the compression ratio from 8:1 up to around 9.5:1 - 10:1,
Little bit hotter cam
header
4 barrel intake..... with something around a 450cfm carburetor

-or-

An 80's 350 TBI engine...

I would need an adapter for the T-18 transmission to mount to the engine,
Rear driveshaft would have to be shortened a few inches
Front driveshaft would need lengthened a few inches
I'd have to figure out the wiring and computer stuff..

-or-

I'd love to find an older 70's Chevy 454
I would just need engine to trans adapter & driveshaft work.

Michael Wood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 cid. / 5.7L
Thanks guys for the input, don't seem like too much work really..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr