Engine oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxgforce

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here's a question, just seen a Rotella commercial for truck oil?? And the commercial was pushing the fact that you don't run car oil in your truck. I think it's a load of crap but maybe I'm missing something? But since the vette runs a 6.2 and lord behold so does the denali....I think it's total bogus.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Hay anybody remember the last Rotella posting?

I had just tried a Rotella oil change that it's unlikely you recall AND the results are in.
From the Z28 and the K5

I'm not gonna start running 15-40 anytime soon but it was fun to play with - until I couldnt stand it anymore.
Seemed great for a brief time , 1500-2k miles ? then it wasnt.

Make of that what you will.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

I had just tried a Rotella oil change that it's unlikely you recall AND the results are in.
From the Z28 and the K5

I'm not gonna start running 15-40 anytime soon but it was fun to play with - until I couldnt stand it anymore.

Please tell us more. Was it the taste or the smell that went bad after a mere 1500 miles? I mean it's "oil" lol. Slightly less entertaining than choosing spark plugs.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ya sure, less fentertaining than spark plugs but oil can often more contentious a topic, don't you agree?

As a matter of fact, i'm not certain why I clicked this re-tread topic in the furst place.

lemme work up a reply, im doin something else atm

:3681700093_1f8b56e8

maybe junior up there will find the search function.

lmao
:angry94:

Maxgforce

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ya sure, less fentertaining than spark plugs but oil can often more contentious a topic, don't you agree?

As a matter of fact, i'm not certain why I clicked this re-tread topic in the furst place.

lemme work up a reply, im doin something else atm

:3681700093_1f8b56e8

maybe junior up there will find the search function.

lmao
:angry94:
Oh so high and mighty are we?, being a senior member in a forum. Go on and continue to be proud of that pathetic calling. Oh and by the way, I wasn't talking about 15w40......so apparently your falling behind with regards to new products. So sit back with your crown and continue to be smug to everyone on here. Your only making yourself look stupid and I'm pretty sure in real life......your the junior.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yawn..... maybe we can discuss floor mats?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Look kid, just because *you're in the same room and I can't stop you from listening, that don't mean i'm talking to you...Is everybody in Colorado a ***** ?

Although now we look a bit closer it seems you have plenty to say, Mister eighteen posts since...Tuesday. hmm.
That's curious.

Well, since you have so much umm.. hopefully more constructive input to bestow upon us, one must wonder how they get along without you.
You seems so comfortable here..This isn't *your first message board experience...@Maxgforce
Where was it you said you came from, exactly?

I bet they miss you there lol.

ANYWAYS!
You better believe i'm gonne be posting up the new floormats I bought for the Honda.
It's been raining so they have to wait. I've been flattening them out and hoping they air out a bit. New nylon is stout smellin stuff!

So ya, fvckin game on with them floormats. :893karatesmiley-thu :893karatesmiley-thu:893karatesmiley-thu
Cuz I ain't bullshittin!

You must be registered for see images attach

Now what?

It didn't take very long for this re--tread thread to become a TON of fun and THAT. is why I clicked it. Ain't my furst message board either.
:33::33::33:
word.up

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Me likey!

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Oh so high and mighty are we?, being a senior member in a forum. Go on and continue to be proud of that pathetic calling. Oh and by the way, I wasn't talking about 15w40......so apparently your falling behind with regards to new products. So sit back with your crown and continue to be smug to everyone on here. Your only making yourself look stupid and I'm pretty sure in real life......your the junior.
That escalated quickly.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Here's a question, just seen a Rotella commercial for truck oil?? And the commercial was pushing the fact that you don't run car oil in your truck. I think it's a load of crap but maybe I'm missing something? But since the vette runs a 6.2 and lord behold so does the denali....I think it's total bogus.

The easy answer would be follow the API codes listed in the owners manual for your engine. Diesel engine oil is different in many ways, but to site one major difference is the amount of (big word) Zinc dithiophosphate (ZDDP). This helps for sliding friction on things like flat top rockers and lifters.

Research has proven the ZDDP negatively effects the catalytic converters. Since many newer gasoline engines have roller lifters and improved rockers (or no rockers at all) less ZDDP is in the blend. Now if you no longer have a converter, this would not be an issue.

The point is a little research would be good before using engine oil that is not correct for the application.

Hey anybody still running their 1962 283, who has not upgraded the valve train, don't forget to add the lead substitute to the fuel!

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305

Look kid, just because *you're in the same room and I can't stop you from listening, that don't mean i'm talking to you...Is everybody in Colorado a ***** ?

Although now we look a bit closer it seems you have plenty to say, Mister eighteen posts since...Tuesday. hmm.
That's curious.

Well, since you have so much umm.. hopefully more constructive input to bestow upon us, one must wonder how they get along without you.
You seems so comfortable here..This isn't *your first message board experience...@Maxgforce
Where was it you said you came from, exactly?

I bet they miss you there lol.

ANYWAYS!
You better believe i'm gonne be posting up the new floormats I bought for the Honda.
It's been raining so they have to wait. I've been flattening them out and hoping they air out a bit. New nylon is stout smellin stuff!

So ya, fvckin game on with them floormats. :893karatesmiley-thu :893karatesmiley-thu:893karatesmiley-thu
Cuz I ain't bullshittin!

You must be registered for see images attach

Now what?

It didn't take very long for this re--tread thread to become a TON of fun and THAT. is why I clicked it. Ain't my furst message board either.
:33::33::33:
word.up

Yeah, but what do you gap your floor mats at?

Maxgforce

Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Guess everyone is entitled to having a bad week every now and then, and that's where I'm at. I may have misinterpreted some of the comments, so I do apologize. But it wasn't 15w40 that I was concerned about, rotella came out with a gas truck engine oil......why would that need to be different from a car? And as far as the floor mat gap, need more info, pile or cut pile carpet?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

From the Z28 and the K5

What did it go bad after 2000 miles? Did you do oil analysis?

I think the rotella commercials may be aimed at heavy duty Brodozer crowds and even the HD gasser crowd.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The easy answer would be follow the API codes listed in the owners manual for your engine. Diesel engine oil is different in many ways, but to site one major difference is the amount of (big word) Zinc dithiophosphate (ZDDP). This helps for sliding friction on things like flat top rockers and lifters.

Research has proven the ZDDP negatively effects the catalytic converters. Since many newer gasoline engines have roller lifters and improved rockers (or no rockers at all) less ZDDP is in the blend. Now if you no longer have a converter, this would not be an issue.

The point is a little research would be good before using engine oil that is not correct for the application.

Hey anybody still running their 1962 283, who has not upgraded the valve train, don't forget to add the lead substitute to the fuel!
I don't think most of us here still have converters on these trucks. But the tractor supply oil I have as well as Walmart oil both carry the API SN certification. I haven't checked any of the 10w30 or 5w40 diesel oils for their certification. I am useing it cause it has higher zinc than the regular 10w40 gasser oils.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uberbeans