Engine mount/trans support bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I found these in a box of vortec era parts I have:
You must be registered for see images attach

My previous setup had no trans support brackets sandwiched between the clamshell and the block. Now that I’ve found these, maybe I can source or make the support rods and be good to go. What would a mid 90s k1500 have for a trans—4L60?

If I have these oriented correctly(point of view would be sitting in cab) there seems to be a conflict on the passenger side. I’d assumed the little bracket was a starter support, but it’s too far forward of the starter and it’d block the trans support lower tab’s hole:

these were both from the same vehicle, though I’m not sure if that vehicle had stuff swapped at some point. Looked like original stuff.

What do I have messed up? Is that actually a power steering pump support? Maybe just a hanger for hardlines?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Might be backwards? I'm not home so I can't say for sure. But I do remember that the driver side bracket on one of my sets from a '91 gmt400 had the oil cooler lines mounted to it.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I have one really poor quality picture of mine and it doesn't have that secondary bracket. My picture is not clear enough to see where the trans cooler lines are supported, but it's somewhere close. I'm going by the shop tomorrow to check the progress on my truck. I can get some pix if you want.

Also, does your truck have the other strut rod from the back of the trans to the transfer case? I read on Steel Soldiers many CUCV's did not have them.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Might be backwards? I'm not home so I can't say for sure. But I do remember that the driver side bracket on one of my sets from a '91 gmt400 had the oil cooler lines mounted to it.

The way the clamshell holes are punched, that little bracket can only go on passenger rear or driver side front, if that makes sense. Since passenger rear placement obstructs the trans support hole, it must go driver side front. Oil cooler lines definitely make sense.

I have one really poor quality picture of mine and it doesn't have that secondary bracket. My picture is not clear enough to see where the trans cooler lines are supported, but it's somewhere close. I'm going by the shop tomorrow to check the progress on my truck. I can get some pix if you want.

Also, does your truck have the other strut rod from the back of the trans to the transfer case? I read on Steel Soldiers many CUCV's did not have them.

I was going to ask yesterday if you’ve heard anything about your truck. Tell them some after hours rookie building a truck in a circus tent is hot on their heels, lol!

Any pictures you can get while you’re at the shop are greatly appreciated. I asked about those two threaded holes in the transfer case a couple months ago; it’s good to see a picture of what it looks like, thanks!

I wonder why they would spec the trucks without the bell housing to transfer case support. Makes me wonder if they didn’t do the engine mount to dust cover ones either. It’d be nice to have something mocked up to help route the exhaust. I have some smaller 3pt tractor threaded turnbuckles that maybe I can adapt, but it’d look really clunky.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I'll get the picture for you. Those rods to the transmission are just steel bar flatted at the ends with bolt holes drilled in them. Pretty easy to fab for someone with your skills.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Seeing you ask this reminded me I pulled apart a truck that still had the transmission support bars. Seems like the few ive messed with someone must have changed engine or trans and was to lazy to put them back in. Im sure craig will get you some pics of his too might be able to see it better. This is from a 91 Crew 454 4l80 truck. Passenger side is the one with the rod on it still.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

Most of the trucks ive messed with had 208s but gramps gave me a turbo 350/205 combo that I sold for him. It had a the 2 bolt holes in the tcase with a bracket that attached to the frame or a crossmember. I would think that would be a better set up with the weight of a 205 or a 203? I wonder if they changed that at somepoint and started putting a bar as shown in the pic on them or did someone take a 208 support and put it on that set up?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Seeing you ask this reminded me I pulled apart a truck that still had the transmission support bars. Seems like the few ive messed with someone must have changed engine or trans and was to lazy to put them back in. Im sure craig will get you some pics of his too might be able to see it better. This is from a 91 Crew 454 4l80 truck. Passenger side is the one with the rod on it still.

awesome, thanks! what size is that rod you think? looks about 7/16 but might be deceiving.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
awesome, thanks! what size is that rod you think? looks about 7/16 but might be deceiving.

I would say 1/2 and the whole thing is 11.5" long

And the other piece there in question i would say is oil cooler based off this other engine ive got... thats the front of drivers side mount.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
perfect, thanks again

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Most of the trucks ive messed with had 208s but gramps gave me a turbo 350/205 combo that I sold for him. It had a the 2 bolt holes in the tcase with a bracket that attached to the frame or a crossmember. I would think that would be a better set up with the weight of a 205 or a 203? I wonder if they changed that at somepoint and started putting a bar as shown in the pic on them or did someone take a 208 support and put it on that set up?

The early 205 trucks had that bracket on the side, it had a couple rubber mounts that bolted to the frame. I think it went away sometime around '75. It seems like a good way to add support, bt GM ditched it for some reason. Maybe frame flex letting the t-case twist against the transmission?

I would say 1/2 and the whole thing is 11.5" long

And the other piece there in question i would say is oil cooler based off this other engine ive got... thats the front of drivers side mount.

You've got neat stuff, lol.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The early 205 trucks had that bracket on the side, it had a couple rubber mounts that bolted to the frame. I think it went away sometime around '75. It seems like a good way to add support, bt GM ditched it for some reason. Maybe frame flex letting the t-case twist against the transmission?

You've got neat stuff, lol.

Well that explains it. It probably was out of an early square. Mostly a bunch of junk ive got lol

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Well that explains it. It probably was out of an early square. Mostly a bunch of junk ive got lol

Not necessarily; My 4.3 (from private owner) came with these; A lot of 4.3's came with TH-400's (not sure why.......)

i'm not sure what they are for, but i'll try to get a pic asap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dave84