engine dress up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kgc4160

Reaction score
First Name
kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
whats a good set of valve covers.. been looking and dont want a cheap set but also dont want to spend a arm and a leg.. recommendations.. also some pics of what youve added to dress up your engine would be nice.. was also thinking about chrome pulleys and brackets..

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I found a fair amount of reasonably priced polished aluminum stuff on eBay for my current build. Seems like I spent about $150 total on valve covers, timing cover and air cleaner.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
M/Ts are classic. Fabricated are really sleek, finned are reminiscent of the good ol’ days, chrome are forever a classic that add reliably and HP, and Moroso valve covers.....those are for maximum sexiness and will always catch the eye of everyone around.
Sorry for this most likely useless post I am somewhat bored :rofl:.
My vote is Moroso

You must be registered for see images attach

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I’ve got Holley muscle series valve covers. They’re a little bit spendy like 200 something if I remember right, but both covers have two openings for multiple pcv and oil fill setups, and for the spots you don’t use there’s covers.

IMO cast aluminum covers are the only way to go for maximum sealing capability, they’re rigid and don’t warp.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Acquired these old school covers from a friend who was getting ready to take them to a deal meet.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’ve got Holley muscle series valve covers. They’re a little bit spendy like 200 something if I remember right, but both covers have two openings for multiple pcv and oil fill setups, and for the spots you don’t use there’s covers.

IMO cast aluminum covers are the only way to go for maximum sealing capability, they’re rigid and don’t warp.

You should really ditch the butt connector on you alt wiring. I think its on its last leg. It will end up giving you headaches down the road.

Colin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
350 cu. in.
I picked up this pair on eBay for very little. Either aluminum or magnesium from a '84 corvette.

After cleaning, sanding and repaint I like 'em much better than the stamped steel that came stock.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You should really ditch the butt connector on you alt wiring. I think its on its last leg. It will end up giving you headaches down the road.
Old pictures lol. You can kind of see it.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I've never been a fan of valve covers that have some aftermarket manufacturer's name on them. I don't intend to offend anybody, it's just a preference thing. But I mean, it's not a Holley or a Moroso, it's a Chevrolet. So my vote is for finned aluminum or something similar. Colin's Corvette covers and Shorty81's covers are the cat's @$$ too. Nothing like suggesting you've got a race engine under the hood.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I didn't go crazy with the valve covers, but I am still looking for a non scripted chrome intake, even though I use alwaysbroke components.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Where did you get that radiator hose? Is it metal flex hose? Never seen that. How does it seal to the water neck? That sure is different. Not that I don't like it. Just wondering.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
The radiator hoses are flexible stainless steel. There are several suppliers online and at Jegs and Summit. Google a search for flexible coolant hose. My heater hoses are the same material. The hoses come with a variety of silicone adapters that slide over the radiator inlet and outlet. The steel flex hose slides over the adapters and they come with polished aluminum endcaps with hose clamps. They fit snug and no more worries about bursting hoses.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
the cheap chrome stuff will rust unless you are out there wacing it once a week or so no joke, been there done that.

I even tried chromed alum. that ended up corroding under the chrome and peeling, and that was an air cleaner.

Aluminum, or painted parts is the way to go IMO.

I love chrome but chrome plated steel rusts and alum, flakes.

Aluminum has to be polished and is a good bit of work but my next build that's what I want to go for polished alum. and painted stuff. You can get a mother powerball or power cone to aid in polishing and if you buy new should be able to keep it looking good.

I had some really nice polished alum valve covers I bought used for cheap but they were never as nice as new.

I like to try and hide wires as well and make it all nice and clean.

These pics are of those used alum. valve covers and that chromed alum, air cleaner top that flaked off, I sanded it and used some filler primer and then some auto paint over it.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I've never been a fan of valve covers that have some aftermarket manufacturer's name on them. I don't intend to offend anybody, it's just a preference thing. But I mean, it's not a Holley or a Moroso, it's a Chevrolet. So my vote is for finned aluminum or something similar. Colin's Corvette covers and Shorty81's covers are the cat's @$$ too. Nothing like suggesting you've got a race engine under the hood.

X2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota