Engine died and now wont fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rylan

Reaction score
First Name
Rylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have a 1987 chevy r10 350 tbi. I was drivin it the other day and it started sputtering and the stalled i figured i was just out of gas and switched tanks and it would fire up and idle fine but as soon as i hit the throttle a bit it would sputter around and almost die . I managed to get it home and park it and tried to start it the next day and its got gas in the throttle body but it wont fire

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
Could be the pickup coil or the ignition control module in the distributor. I had a similar issue and replaced the both parts but, did not fix it 100% sometimes the magnet for the pickup coil on the distributor shaft will go bad and you have to pull the distributor to to replace the coil. The coil was 10$ the icm was 60$ and a new distributor and 110$ and comes with both + cap&rotor.
The old distributor would spin free but the new one I could feel the resistance from the magnets as it passed by, almost like changing the station on a old twist nob tv

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Put a test light on the tach terminal of the distributor. With the key on, the light should be on. It should flash when you crank it. If not, could be pickup coil, module, etc. lots of YouTube videos on how to test.

Rylan

Reaction score
First Name
Rylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I worked on it a little bit more and found out that i do have spark but it still isnt firing so i looked abit more found that the wires goin to my injectors got hot and some plastic from the injector plugins melted off and fell into the throttle body if you zoom in on the pic you can see the wires got pretty hot so geuss thats pry the problem. Thanks guys

You must be registered for see images attach

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Ive seen worse on a running engine, disconnect the tps and start it up.

84 M1008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008 K30
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
That happened to my 92 4.3 S15 Jimmy. All the wires going to the throttle body burned up. I was about 30 miles from home so I had it dragged to a local shop that cobbled up new wires. It ran fine after that but I have no idea why it happened.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Iirc, these would occasionally backfire through the throttlebody and catch fire. From what I understand, it's not really noticeable until the wires melt and affect the way it runs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes