Engine advice; rebuild, replace or put on a new pan???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Hey guys, I'm at a cross roads.... I haven't been able to do much with my truck the last couple of years because of work etc and having no free time... I actually have a couple weeks before I move and am technically unemployed so I could devote a week or so to getting the truck fixed up etc..

Here is my situation, 87 v10 that I picked up in a trade a couple years ago. Looks like the previous owner dropped in a 305 from an 84 (looked up serial number) and converted it to carb. He installed bolts in the motor mounts but no nuts... my guess is that he got it running to trade/sell with a junk yard motor of unknown origin.

Yesterday I was driving on the highway and I noticed the truck was running at 210 degrees which is higher than normal. 30 seconds later blue smoke behind me. I was in a bad section of the highway and had to drive a mile until I was able to park it. My oil pan rusted through and she leaked out the last quart of so waiting for the tow truck...

My ?. should I buy a new gm crate motor?? Its $1600 and would hopefully last a lifetime. Should I rebuild the 305. There is a machine shop close enough but ironically I need my truck to drop off the block ;-/

should I just replace the pan and see how it goes... right now I'm leaning towards the crate motor because I have the time but I just sold my engine hoist a couple weeks ago... I'm moving to NC at the end of summer and trying to get as lean as possible with my possessions... truck is forever lol.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or info.

I'm looking at this; https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-10067353/overview/make/chevrolet

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Hmm. I see 2 solid choices above, depending on how lean you want the budget to be until after you've moved. 1) replace the pan, worry about the swap down the road. or 2) if you don't mind spending for the crate motor, do it once and be done with it. No way would I recommend wasting money to rebuild a 305.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Were you just looking at a Goodwrench 350? Why don't you check out Craigslist and see if you can work with something on there. I've seen some very workable stuff on there before. Either way, I don't think the 305 is worth working with, but I wouldn't say that a Goodwrench 350 is enough of a step up to justify the $$$.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
go to junkyard, buy a used pan and fresh oil change. while you are waiting for your new crate engine to come.. IMHO you cannot beat that for the price. i just rebuilt a 1975 350, 010 block with a set of junkyard vortec heads that were checked and had a valve job plus all the new parts and even if i did not go with the vortecs after all said and done would have spent probably more that your crate engine costs. you wouldn't believe all of the little things that start to add up when doing a rebuild/swap.. just my 2 cents, good luck man

Polyphemus287

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Given that you are moving I would try and nurse the truck along till you get to your new place.

If it didn't make any noise that mas too horrible when it started to smoke, then I would put a used pan on it and see how it goes.

Unless you are confident that you can complete the swap before you move and you have the extra cash then I would wait. Even with a rebuilt unit its the little things that will nickel and dime you to death.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
thanks for the advice guys. The truck still had a fair amount of oil in it when I drained the pan. The pan was really rusty but since she leaks it was always covered in oil lol. I got lucky and never lost oil pressure or oil volume and it was a pin hole leak at the back of the pan which leaked oil. A new pan is only 40-50 bucks but a guy down the street had one for $10 and I reused the one piece gasket..

Got it changed and have been driving it the last 2 days until what I'm guessing is one of my trans cooler lines let loose... when it rains it pours lol. The truck has been sitting mostly the past 2 years because of life and hasn't gotten much attention or use. The body is really solid and she runs mint so I'll probably drop in a crate motor when needed as I don't take her more than 100 miles from home (AAA). Cheers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike