emergency brake cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Has anyone ran into the problem of using and older style 14 bolt in a newer truck? My 87 has an earlier rear end under it and the Ebrake cables are different. GM went to routing the Ebrake cables down the drivers side in later years. they ran the passenger side cable over to the drivers side to hook up, not possible with the cables on my rear end. any ideas?? If you look on LMC trucks web site or catalog you can see the difference in cable routing and type of cable used between the years

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I would bet you can retrofit the older axle to use the newer type cables. Most likely the cable enters the backing plate and connects to the brake in the same spot. Looking at the LMC parts list for the complete drum brake hardware kit (#6) it lists the same part for all years so the E brake cable probably hooks in the same way for all years.

The late model (87) cables are $20 per side, it would be worth it to order a set from your local parts house and if they wont fit just return them. I just got a new Dorman brand pair from Summit Racing for my 1/2 ton, looks like quality stuff...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

older pic but you can see here my 1980 with 14 bolt and larger rear brakes (C6P Heavier duty 3/4 >8600gvw)
has two plates the cables slotted into and then im guessing there was a crossover and that went into one that runs the driver rail. no idea tho from there tbh
You must be registered for see images attach

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I’ve got a picture of the cables on my ‘ 75 and I’ll locate it and post later.
It uses a long u-shaped main cable, connected to each brake and then routed up to the front so the U part is under the cab. I think I got the replacement cable from LMC.

- One corner of the U cable is connected to the short e-brake cable and the other corner is held out to a square shape by a smooth retainer that lets it slide. Think of holding up an extension cord with your hands in two places and letting the ends dangle down.
- When the short emergency brake cable that is connected to the pedal pulls on one corner of the long cable, everything just shortens up and actuates the emergency brakes.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The problem on the 14b FF is the backing plate is different and the cable mounts differently.

You can possibly switch the parking brake cables and backing plates to the later style off another 14b but it may require the later drum and hub as well. I would also reach out to Lokar or a place that makes control cables and see if they can make a set with what you want. You may have to send in both sets of cables, early and late, and have them put the plate that bolts to the backing plate off the 14bolt onto the later style. Anyplace that makes control cables shouldn't have an issue as this swap has been done a million times.

I've done this swap twice and I think one time I cut the section off the later style rear end backing plate and welded it into the original 14b early backing plate. The other time i had cables made. I ended up switching to rear disc eventually on both trucks but I wouldn't advise that as the parking brake never works as well.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Love those custom exhaust hangers @AuroraGirl
Ikr!
I have 2 exhaust hangers in my shed new. Whenever I make up a different, better pipe, I will hang it by those at least 2 times
rn its literally the collection from manifolds(not even the same manifolds) and then a band clamp between that and the straight shot back that you see dump down. leaks everywhere.

that chain is the exhaust hanger

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I would bet you can retrofit the older axle to use the newer type cables. Most likely the cable enters the backing plate and connects to the brake in the same spot. Looking at the LMC parts list for the complete drum brake hardware kit (#6) it lists the same part for all years so the E brake cable probably hooks in the same way for all years.

The late model (87) cables are $20 per side, it would be worth it to order a set from your local parts house and if they wont fit just return them. I just got a new Dorman brand pair from Summit Racing for my 1/2 ton, looks like quality stuff...
the 87 had push in style Ebrake cables thru the backing plate, this has the bolt on style

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I’ve got a picture of the cables on my ‘ 75 and I’ll locate it and post later.
It uses a long u-shaped main cable, connected to each brake and then routed up to the front so the U part is under the cab. I think I got the replacement cable from LMC.

- One corner of the U cable is connected to the short e-brake cable and the other corner is held out to a square shape by a smooth retainer that lets it slide. Think of holding up an extension cord with your hands in two places and letting the ends dangle down.
- When the short emergency brake cable that is connected to the pedal pulls on one corner of the long cable, everything just shortens up and actuates the emergency brakes.
thats exactly how I have mine routed now, just need to figure out the connection from the cab cable to the u cable going back to the rear end, need a couple more hangers and I think this will work, I bought a cable connector from Lokar to make that connection after I cut the cable down that goes to the pedal, On this 87 that cable coming from the pedal is long ,almost to the gas tank filler under the truck. I am trying to make it work as the earlier trucks, I hope this Lokar connector will work,or I may have to get an earlier model cable from the pedal to underneath the truck.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
thats exactly how I have mine routed now, just need to figure out the connection from the cab cable to the u cable going back to the rear end, need a couple more hangers and I think this will work, I bought a cable connector from Lokar to make that connection after I cut the cable down that goes to the pedal, On this 87 that cable coming from the pedal is long ,almost to the gas tank filler under the truck. I am trying to make it work as the earlier trucks, I hope this Lokar connector will work,or I may have to get an earlier model cable from the pedal to underneath the truck.
different backing plate, could you exchange it

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
different backing plate, could you exchange it
thought about that but I think the drums and hubs maybe different, and in short supply around here!! I think this retro fit to an earlier type of cable system should work, just may have to get a different cable coming off the pedal if it doesn't hold up

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
thought about that but I think the drums and hubs maybe different, and in short supply around here!! I think this retro fit to an earlier type of cable system should work, just may have to get a different cable coming off the pedal if it doesn't hold up
hmm

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I am using the LMC catalog page as a guide for the parts needed then just gonna try to make it work! My Jeep J20 has the same type of Ebrake cable system under it so I am checking that as well

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I took some pictures after I installed dual exhaust, and you can see the emergency brake cables where they connect up front. I made the cable retainer on the passenger side by bending some 1/4 solid rod and looping it through an existing hole in the frame. The other side of the “U” is the cable running to the emergency brake pedal.

Attachments

• 2D30E9E8-7AF4-41AF-8143-01973DD29286.jpeg
    2D30E9E8-7AF4-41AF-8143-01973DD29286.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 149

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
success!! got my E brake routed like an earlier model truck, a little welding to make an adjuster and works like a champ!! Had to make a small guide roller for the cable coming off the pedal to not rub on the transfer case cross member but it works good!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84