Electrical Issue I need help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Stiles

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
So the other day I was driving to work and as I rolled up to a stop light my truck died. I went to restart it and nothing. Completely dead with none of the gauges on the instrument panel working at all. I've done a bit of research and went through the steps in the Haynes manual to pinpoint what the problem is but I'm having no luck. Work I've done so far:

1. Checked the battery as suggested in the manual and it's good.
2. I've checked the starter and solenoid and they are good.
3. I've replaced the ignition starter switch located on the top of the steering column under the dash because some of the research on other forums indicated that it could be the problem. Still nothing.

To clarify, on the day the truck died I had just ran it through a car wash to get the grime off. I'm curious as if to this would have anything to do with the problem. When I turn the ignition switch on nothing happens on the instrument panel, however, headlights and horn still work. I'm not great at this electrical troubleshooting and could use some advice if there is any to be offered.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So the other day I was driving to work and as I rolled up to a stop light my truck died. I went to restart it and nothing. Completely dead with none of the gauges on the instrument panel working at all. I've done a bit of research and went through the steps in the Haynes manual to pinpoint what the problem is but I'm having no luck. Work I've done so far:

1. Checked the battery as suggested in the manual and it's good.
2. I've checked the starter and solenoid and they are good.
3. I've replaced the ignition starter switch located on the top of the steering column under the dash because some of the research on other forums indicated that it could be the problem. Still nothing.

To clarify, on the day the truck died I had just ran it through a car wash to get the grime off. I'm curious as if to this would have anything to do with the problem. When I turn the ignition switch on nothing happens on the instrument panel, however, headlights and horn still work. I'm not great at this electrical troubleshooting and could use some advice if there is any to be offered.
Could of popped the fusible link at the starter. Do you have 12v at the junction block on the firewall?

Michael Stiles

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I don't know I haven't checked. I talked to a guy and he mentioned the fusible link and I was going to check it that today. That'll be the next thing I do and I'll let you know.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I don't know I haven't checked. I talked to a guy and he mentioned the fusible link and I was going to check it that today. That'll be the next thing I do and I'll let you know.
:waytogo:

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
you say its a manual? check the plunger attached to the clutch under the dash. mine broke while I was at napa a few weeks ago. I got lucky. 13 bucks for a new one.

Michael Stiles

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Okay thank you. I'll post what I figure out when I get home and get under the hood.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Iirc, the nuetral safety switch won't take out the gauges and dash lighting.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I was thinking fusible link as mentioned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey