Electric fuel pump timer or relay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So maybe this should go in the efi or engine section but figured more views here….
Truck in sig. Carbureted engine with electric fuel pump and no option for a mechanical pump. (It was originally an EFI Vortec )
Currently ( no pun intended), electric fuel pump relay is triggered by a random ignition on hot lead. Works fine, except it’s not dummy proof in that if you sit with key on engine not running, fuel pump runs continuously.
Is there some sort of pressure sensor or timed relay to emulate efi engines where the fuel pump primes at key on and then does not run until cranking or running rpms are observed?
Or any suggestions on how to wire the fuel pump to run only while engine cranking or running?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You could run the relay trigger wire through an engine oil pressure switch that will trigger on at 10psi or so. That means the pump would act just like a mechanical and only start pumping or running when the engine cranks enough to build oil pressure.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
You could run the relay trigger wire through an engine oil pressure switch that will trigger on at 10psi or so. That means the pump would act just like a mechanical and only start pumping or running when the engine cranks enough to build oil pressure.
This also works for you in case of an accident where the engine is stalled or disabled to stop the flow of fuel.

There is a relay that is built specifically for this instance, I just have to remember where I saw it....

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Here is a safety relay that I was thinking of, naturally it is from a VW supplier as that was where I was first thinking of putting a electric fuel pump....

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Here is a safety relay that I was thinking of, naturally it is from a VW supplier as that was where I was first thinking of putting a electric fuel pump....

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
Now to find one in stock and not for sale in Euros!
Thanks!

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
Now to find one in stock and not for sale in Euros!
Thanks!
Here's what we use, great product.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
Quite a few years ago, I wired a seatbelt light/buzzer timer to the fuel pump relay to get a 5-7 second prime on a furrin car I used to own... an oil pressure switch controlled the pump after that. Looks like there are plenty of off the shelf solutions readily available today.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Ellie Niner
That is an ingenious solution that sounds like it would work perfectly!

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
@Ellie Niner
That is an ingenious solution that sounds like it would work perfectly!
It did, though I gotta admit that it took me a fairly long time to come up with the idea and make a working circuit... then a bunch more to figure out that I just needed to add a diode to stop the fuel pump from backfeeding into the seatbelt light and lighting it up whenever the engine was running. Guess I *somehow* know more now than I did back in high school... but it probably helped my ass pass auto mechanics for that quarter since I skipped school about every other day back then.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Now if anyone knows of one of these timer relay contraptions like @Catbox posted, that is for sale in the US I’m all ears. Have done a little searching but to no avail yet.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have used a tbi ecu before for fuel prime signal. It is more bulky, but was free. Oil pressure switch controlled it past that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54