Electric fan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
The Az heat has led to my clutch fan locking up after 10 minutes of driving every day this week, and I’m done sounding like a Mac truck and feeling all that drag in the pedal. So I’m finally pulling the trigger on a long planned electric fan conversion. Today I ripped out the stock fan and grabbed a 2 speed fan (part number 620-101) from an early 90s Taurus, 114 bucks on amazon supposedly will get me one of the best fans money can buy without going totally nuts. It’s advertised to flow 1800cfm on low, and 2700 on high, think that’ll be adequate? I’ll have to build another shroud as the included one is smaller than my radiator. I’m just sharing my experience, feel free to leave advice as this is my first time doing a fan swap

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Have you already upgraded your alternator?

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Have you already upgraded your alternator?
Yeah I’m running a 110 amp alternator from some early 90s truck that still ran a vbelt, I have lots of things drawing from it and still see 13.5 volts at all times

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
should do the job I recommend you wire it in with a Volvo relay. It has 2 inputs to enable the fan high and low, and also eliminate the 3rd relay needed to switch between high and low. Using a BMW 2 temp switch will make this easy to install.

this is probably the best write up I have seen for this
http://www.syty.net/forums/forum/sy...es/101745-wiring-2-speed-fan-with-volvo-relay

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
@4WDKC Do you have a write up on this?

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
Sorry hadn't had breakfast and didn't see it. I appreciate it!

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
should do the job I recommend you wire it in with a Volvo relay. It has 2 inputs to enable the fan high and low, and also eliminate the 3rd relay needed to switch between high and low. Using a BMW 2 temp switch will make this easy to install.

this is probably the best write up I have seen for this
http://www.syty.net/forums/forum/sy...es/101745-wiring-2-speed-fan-with-volvo-relay
I’ve actually got a few 40 amp relays laying around, one will handle the low speed, and then 2 more will be wired in parallel to handle the high, effectively making an 80 amp relay since they share the load. And my msd efi system has trigger wires for a 2 speed fan to control it at whatever temps I want, should be pretty good!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I’ve actually got a few 40 amp relays laying around, one will handle the low speed, and then 2 more will be wired in parallel to handle the high, effectively making an 80 amp relay since they share the load. And my msd efi system has trigger wires for a 2 speed fan to control it at whatever temps I want, should be pretty good!

I liked this because its simple to hook up, doesnt take alot of space and cheap, the fan they use is supposedly the same motor as the Taurus but it bolts to the shroud allowing it to be easily removed and custom shroud made. Here is the one I made for my vette

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Have read good things about the volvo control mod.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I liked this because its simple to hook up, doesnt take alot of space and cheap, the fan they use is supposedly the same motor as the Taurus but it bolts to the shroud allowing it to be easily removed and custom shroud made. Here is the one I made for my vette
Dude is that a baking sheet! I’m trying to mock-up mounts with strips of metal stock and sheet metal but if it doesn’t work out, I’m defiantly going that route

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Following this thread! I have a buddy that’s trying to part out at least one if not two Volvo’s, maybe I can snag a relay or two

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Dude is that a baking sheet! I’m trying to mock-up mounts with strips of metal stock and sheet metal but if it doesn’t work out, I’m defiantly going that route

yes it is, it was cheaper than buying a sheet of stainless steel and bending it and it is the correct size to cover the entire radiator on the vette. Someone else came up with the idea and nicknamed it Pan shroud

grandscapesllc

Reaction score
First Name
scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I used the dual fan out of a 2004 ford windstar. Was very easy setup and the shroud covers the entire radiator. I have pics somewhere

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Just a look at my relays, all are 40 amps, but the two smaller ones are getting wired in parallel this afternoon to effectively make a single 80 amp for the high speed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito