Electric choke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I have the edlebrock 1406 carb on the burb and the electric choke is not hooked up. Never was since I bought it about 8 months ago. My question is could I be doing damage to the carb? I see two tabs on choke but only one red wire that is in the vicinity of it could someone post a pic of there's please.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong , but the wiring diagram shows the choke hot wire is light blue and the other terminal should be a ground.
I just looked at my 85 and the hot wire is red also. :shrug:

Last edited:

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
So there's a ground hanging around somewhere huh? Ok I'll check it out. The truck starts fine without but if it's a function of the carb I want it to operate fully

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
So there's a ground hanging around somewhere huh? Ok I'll check it out.

You probably won't find it on the truck, you'll have to make one like this.
You must be registered for see images

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ok nice there's one in the box the PO gave me with the truck I didn't have a clue where it went thanks.
The yellow choke light comes on once in a while what's that indicating?

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You're not going to damage the carb, you'll just have some stutters and hesitation until the engine warms up, especially in the winter.

Keep in mind that 12 volts gradually opens the choke plate. How are you keeping it open now?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Heres how my eddys set up. Mine didnt have a choke wire so the other black wire i ran from the fuse box off a terminal that was hot only with the key on. (I only had black wire so i used it)

You must be registered for see images attach

kenfoy

Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
From the image you sent it appears that your ground wire is connected to the choke body on the carb. There is a gasket between the carb and the manifold that may not be allowing a good ground. I would recommend moving the connection to a clean area on the block or frame. While there may be those who would argue that your present ground connection is good, I would change it to be sure.
If the "hot" wire tests 12 volts from the wire connection on the choke to a ground point, and it is hot when ignition is on, you should be good to go.
After changing to a better ground point, with the ignition off, pull your air cleaner so you can see the choke blade. turn on the ignition and watch the blade. It should move (probably slowly) to the "open" or not choked position. If so, you are good to go.

Regards,

El Viejo

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I have the edlebrock 1406 carb on the burb and the electric choke is not hooked up. Never was since I bought it about 8 months ago. My question is could I be doing damage to the carb? I see two tabs on choke but only one red wire that is in the vicinity of it could someone post a pic of there's please.

*theirs

Wtf "there's"?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Ok nice there's one in the box the PO gave me with the truck I didn't have a clue where it went thanks.
The yellow choke light comes on once in a while what's that indicating?

Provided the choke heater wiring is in good condition, and the CHOKE warning light illuminates...it could possibly be telling you that your oil pressure is low (like under 10 psi). I would investigate it - if you don't have a gauge package.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I got it it's hooked up just lights up for for maybe 3 seconds and turns off. The ground wire was chewed up put a new one on back to the carb. Thanks for the answers guys even the smart ones about grammar.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I imagine that the light is providing an indicator of low oil pressure while it builds following start up. There is no need for much concern unless it doesn't go off!

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I imagine that the light is providing an indicator of low oil pressure while it builds following start up. There is no need for much concern unless it doesn't go off!
Right on
I'm just getting everything slowly but surely hooked up on her. I'm trying to keep everything as close to factory as possible the wife has been driving it I just want it safe simple and reliable for her you know.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I got it it's hooked up just lights up for for maybe 3 seconds and turns off. The ground wire was chewed up put a new one on back to the carb. Thanks for the answers guys even the smart ones about grammar.

Not that you even asked, but here is how the choke heater/warning light circuits work as from the factory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL