Easiest path to fuel injection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremyb

Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I just bought an 81 with a 305 on Sunday. I have zero mechanical knowledge or ability. Thankfully I have many contacts in auto shops, so finding a place to do the work shouldnt be a problem.
Based on your experience, what engine should I be looking for to have the easiest and overall most cost effective conversion to fuel injection? Based on the engine you suggest, what else would have to be done?
My wants are driveability and all guages and air conditioning still functioning.
Sorry for the long first post. Thanks in advance for the help.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Holley EFI is a good route, I'm not very familiar with it so I dont know how involved it is but i feel like it should be a pretty straight forward swap. Of course I wouldnt waste time or money on putting holley efi on a 305.

Getting a 87-91 TBI set up can also be a pretty quick job and would be OEM.

LS, LT1, TPI swaps all require time, knowledge, money. Some more than others. LT1 and TPI swaps are just as involved as LS swaps but with less power stock for stock.

Any engine can be made to work with your stock gauges by using adapter fittings and your existing senders. With LS engines they sell AC compressor relocation brackets that will allow use of R12 compressor. You can also figure out a vintage air setup and modern refrigerant.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If I were in your shoes and set on efi. I'd buy a 350 tbi suburban. Rob the wiring harness, fuel tank, ecm, engine transmission, Everything you need should be right there.Plus spare parts and junk to sell in the end. I say suburban just because 350 tbi suburban seem to be about plentiful parts vehicle.
The 350 tbi stuff will also work on your 305 but you have to change injectors.
A junkyard tbi swap is also an option but just more cost buying individual pieces. I'd swap in the whole suburban wiring harness but you don't have to, you can strip just what you need out and leave your other wiring in place.

Last edited: