Dumbo Mirror Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rubber Truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
I'm planning to put some dumbo (I think that's what you call them. Correct me if I'm wrong) mirrors on my truck that didn't have them from factory. I was wondering if you guys that did this before did you put the mirror brace inside the door? If you did how did you know where to put the mirror so the brace lines up? If you didn't put it in did you have any problems with the mirror shaking at all or anything like that?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've heard about the brace but I think it's hard, like you need three arms to do it. I think once you drill the holes for the mirrors you put the brace, or some kind of a plate thing or something like that, I'm not entirely sure, just transfer the holes to the brace and drill them outside the truck.

I call those mirrors "towing mirrors". Because why else would anyone want those big mirrors sticking out and all, if you weren't going to tow something you needed to see real good. And be able to back up without crashing into something. My mother-in-law had them on her pickup but she also towed a 22 ft. travel trailer up to the lake three times a year and had to back the thing up into a little trailer pad where she went at the Lake 'O' Pines park in East Texas.

I think you could also use fender washers to back up the bolts inside the door. How about that? Her mirrors didn't shake at all. Of course she had the dealer put them on and I have no idea what they used.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

You say dumbo i think these... not the "towing" mirrors like on my truck.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
We went from the giant camper mirrors that I find hideous to the Dumbo version mirrors.
At the junkyard we found a truck that had the supports inside the doors.
When installing, @Maxwellvis did plenty of measuring to ensure he had the new set where they belonged.
It was not all that bad at all to install the mirrors with the brackets.

We have had no issues with them since they have been on there.

Before...

After...

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
if you do not have the brace the "ears" flap in the wind. eventually metal fatigued and cracked.
I thing the inserts for the bolts to screw into the door are good to have too.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
We went from the giant camper mirrors that I find hideous to the Dumbo version mirrors.
At the junkyard we found a truck that had the supports inside the doors.
When installing, @Maxwellvis did plenty of measuring to ensure he had the new set where they belonged.
It was not all that bad at all to install the mirrors with the brackets.

We have had no issues with them since they have been on there.

Before...

After...
I like the old ones better....

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

I have to admit I like the old mirrors to and I had a mid-60s chev 20 with "west coast" style mirrors. I'll always love the look of those mirrors. Getting into more recent times on my Dodge truck I had factory fixed mount mirrors, and on the farm there are some tight spots to drive though and after I clipped a mirror twice I went to the dumbo mirrors on it, and my square came with them. I have a set of towing mirrors that fit on to the dumbo mirrors on the square, and I have to admit it is not as good as the old camper mirrors or west coast mirrors, but it's very helpful with the big trailer on the square and if a knock a mirror on the farm all I have to do is readjust it. For me the dumbo mirrors aren't the best at anything, but are a good compromise.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I have to admit I like the old mirrors to and I had a mid-60s chev 20 with "west coast" style mirrors. I'll always love the look of those mirrors. Getting into more recent times on my Dodge truck I had factory fixed mount mirrors, and on the farm there are some tight spots to drive though and after I clipped a mirror twice I went to the dumbo mirrors on it, and my square came with them. I have a set of towing mirrors that fit on to the dumbo mirrors on the square, and I have to admit it is not as good as the old camper mirrors or west coast mirrors, but it's very helpful with the big trailer on the square and if a knock a mirror on the farm all I have to do is readjust it. For me the dumbo mirrors aren't the best at anything, but are a good compromise.
My 94 gmt400 burban had factory power plastic mirrors on it.... after smashing them off more then once i put "dumbo" mirrors on it and loved the sight picture from them! I do enjoy those mirrors but i also REALLY love the "towing", "west coast" mirrors like on @Catbox 's truck and my square.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size

They are not the greatest for city driving.
Difficult to see out of and they make the truck stupid wide and that is with the mirrors on the inside position.
With them moved to the outside, we would bang them on all kinds of stuff.

Not rad.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Difficult to see out of and they make the truck stupid wide and that is with the mirrors on the inside position.

Not rad.
Im the odd ball who really likes them :shrug:

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are you going to garage the truck? Make sure they will fit through the door.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I took my "ears" off and broke em down. They are stainless. polished up nicely, new rubber grommets and painted inside bracketry....boxed and waiting to be installed at a later date..... that day will come eventually. seems llike everything takes precedence

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI

Not rad.
That, and the fact that there are just random metal bars bolted to the freakin center of the door, it's unsightly. Like some crap that does not belong and was slapped on after the fact, hard to imagine that's what they left the factory with, it ruins the lines of the truck. The "dumbo" mirrors still stick out plenty far enough to see around all but the widest of trailers, and they don't look like an afterthought. Seriously those camper mirrors remind me of the chairs in high school. And if you look at the picture Catbox posted after he removed them, just look how far down the door those mout hones are, it's absurd! There's like 3' of metal bracketry hangimng off the side of the truck, looks like something a hillbilly rigged up himself but no it just came from GM that way. Now there's holes in the door too, what a dumb thing. I think the "dumbo" mirrors are absolutely the way to go

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128