Drum Brake help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I'm not really nearly as familiar with drum brakes as I should be.

Throughout the years I've tended to just pull it all off and disc swap everything. That was my intention with the C10 as well, but I have no brakes at all now in the rear, and I think that's something I can rectify for like 100 bucks instead of 400.

The drums seized when it was sitting in storage, and I ripped everything off so it would roll. Is this everything I need to put it back together?

You must be registered for see images attach

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Parking brake adjuster assembly

The bar that goes across the top.

That little clip that holds the shoes in

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I knew they were complex... I seriously think drum brakes are proof aliens have interfered with our development as a species... How do you come up with this gobbleydegook before a simple caliper pressing on a disc??

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If it were me, I’d check if the drum is still within spec thickness and have it turned. It’d be a pretty good savings till the next time you need to do brakes, and the surfaces will be good as new.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I knew they were complex... I seriously think drum brakes are proof aliens have interfered with our development as a species... How do you come up with this gobbleydegook before a simple caliper pressing on a disc??

They were both developed simultaneously. A primitive master cylinder is gonna work better with drum brakes that need less hydraulic pressure to operate, and drum brakes are cheaper to manufacture.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
They were both developed simultaneously. A primitive master cylinder is gonna work better with drum brakes that need less hydraulic pressure to operate, and drum brakes are cheaper to manufacture.
Then why in the hell are drum brake rebuild kits so expensive.
I think parts are much cheaper on disks.
The rotor/drum is usually a wash.
Pads are cheaper than most shoes. And having to buy a total hardware kit is way more expensive than it needs to be.
On older trucks calipers average 30-70 bucks

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
But I feel like this sums up our species. We tend to over develop moving/working parts before we go “oh ****, i could have done it this way!”

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
But I feel like this sums up our species. We tend to over develop moving/working parts before we go “oh ****, i could have done it this way!”

I would point to having to build a rear caliper that has to be able to engage the parking brake hydraulically versus yanking on a cable and pushing a shoe into the drum. Fronts don’t need that so it makes way more sense there. On my Olds, reman calipers run the same price front and back. The front is a big and beefy double piston unit, and the rears are small, single piston, and very chinky feeling. But they have all the parking brake stuff so that complicates it.

I will say that I find it hard to believe that having to build a more complex caliper costs more than having to add a prop valve to a hybrid brake system, but maybe the prop valve is standardized to brake bore where there are a handful versus a rear caliper changing for every model and then more for sub-models and then different brake RPOs where you can have potentially dozens for just a single marque. That’s my logic there anyway.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
It looks like the parking brake strut isn't available, at least at Rock auto. Probably shouldn't have tossed everything lol.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Current list, complete? except other side parking brake strut?

You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Yeah, iirc that brake strut, and the arm that spins the star adjuster are dealer only parts.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Yeah, iirc that brake strut, and the arm that spins the star adjuster are dealer only parts.

I'm going to have to visit my most secretest junkyard.

Or buy another axle, I see them all the time for like 100 bucks.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yep looks pretty close
I have obtained my fair share of struts from The JY. EVERYONE tosses them it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL