Drivetrain Noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey everyone.

I'm trying to put a plan together on how I am going to tackle the drivetrain issues I am hearing and I'm having some troubles.

Particularly I have two noises.
Noise 1: A Loud clunk with a violent lurch that only happens when the transmission shifts from 2-3 and I let off the throttle at the time of the shift. (I'll try and get a video of it sometime)

Noise 2: I have a video here
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is going forward slowly while slightly turning to the left. listen closely you'll hear some clicking.

I am planning on pulling the diff covers soon to replace the cover seals and covers. I am hoping to have some of this diagnosed and ready to tackle anything that needs to be done when I have those off. I had a shop check it over they told me that my u joints are good, and backlash is minimal. However, I do have some spider gear play (thinking noise #2) and the NP208 transfer case output shaft has some play (thinking noise #1)

I plan to have the NP208 rebuilt down the road sometime or I may try my hand at doing it myself. I'm not too sure just yet. But about this rear end clicking. I'm thinking I should replace my spider gears when I have the cover off. My main problem is this is the 14 bolt SF with the G80 locker and I cannot seem to find replacements. Is there reasonably priced replacement spider gears for these or am I looking at replacing the entire carrier with say a posi, e-locker, ARB air-locker etc? Or would this be made better after a gear oil change only?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota