Driveshaft support bearing orientation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

53charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hi all,
i am replacing the support bearing on my 1987 longbed. I have pressed the old one out but i am wondering if it was pressed in backwards? the support bearing is not symetrical, there is a front and a back, and there is also a small spacer, which i want to verify if it is pressed ahead of the bearing or behind it?. I have not been able to find a diagram that shows the orientation of those parts, anybody out there can help?

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If there is any dirt on the cross-member that might help the orientation. Also, I hope you marked your drivelines so they line up together as well. The driveline is balance, so if you mount one 180* out of the other you will have a vibration.

53charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thank you for your reply dvdswan, the reason I have the driveshaft out is that I changed to a 700R4 trans (i had a TH400 before), so I had to look for a driveshaft front section from a truck that came equipped with the OD trans (3" longer), i found it, the U-joint is perfect but the carrier bearing was shot. So i will be using the original rear driveshaft section with the purchased front, hopefully it will work!