Driveshaft backing out of the tranny?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Noticed a red leak under the truck so just snapped this photo -

You must be registered for see images attach

I see the clean part of the yoke there it looks like it is backing out of the tranny and the leak is definitely coming from there. I've only owned the truck about six months and can't imagine if it were like this when I purchased that it wouldn't have already leaked.

Anyone have any thread suggestions on what to look for?

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
normal.. like shiftpro just stated this yoke must be able to slip in and out as suspension is pusing axle up and down which lengthens and shortens distance form pinion axle uyoke to tail end of tranny. about 1-3/4" showing of the slip shiny smooth part of the yoke is normal fine good. you need a new O ring in the speedo gear retainer and maybe at the slip yoke extension housing tail end too possibly, but i think your speedo retainer o ring is leaking way more worse

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Cool thanks guys.

I'm going to cover everything up and spray some degreaser on it and see if I can clean it and replace those seals. Seems like a good job to have a shop do for me but I can't find anyone in the area that wants to touch my truck nor redo driveshafts for the mustang in my garage so looks like I have a fun weekend ahead :)

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Your good.I rate this job beginner level.

Block your tires or emergency brake!

Mark your driveshaft @ rearend and take it loose.Pull out of slip yoke and set aside.

Use a seal puller or long screwdriver and pry out that seal.Put the new one in with a tad of grease on the rubber lip of the seal.Install your driveshaft.

Some people like to spread a bit of automotive sealant around the diameter of the seal.

The hardest part is driving the seal in evenly.A large socket or pipe can work well.It needs to almost the diameter of the seal.

Easy money

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
wanna trade
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
you need a longer driveshaft ma’am.No pun intended
Bucket hotrod and I figured out its actually from my broken mounts, my whole engine/trans have slid and tilted forward. I will have to see how long it is once that is all fixed. Im guessing I will see an improvement

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I see.I think I remember you mentioning that in a previous thread.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Gm liked to go short on the slip yoke driveshafts on the square bodies for some reason. No reason to have more than 1-1/4 to 1-1/2” of pull out on the yoke. Driveshaft builders go 3/4-1”

My factory DS had 3” of yoke showing and it would push clear to the seal without bottoming out...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC