Drip Rail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I have a 1978 C10 and I have removed the over the window drip rail to clean them up. On the back of the drip rail, there appears to be a seal, so metal isn't touching metal? Does anyone know where to find a replacement seal, or what can I use to replace the seal. Or would this be an option.

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
When I replaced the drip rails on my dually I used 3M double sided foam tape. Buffed off the old stuff to clean metal. Just be sure if you go this route to have it perfectly positioned when you press it into place because this stuff has some serious adhesion! I didn't even need to reinstall those tiny pain in the ass little sheet metal screws. Sealed over the holes most excellently!!!:smoke2:

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
When I replaced the drip rails on my dually I used 3M double sided foam tape. Buffed off the old stuff to clean metal. Just be sure if you go this route to have it perfectly positioned when you press it into place because this stuff has some serious adhesion! I didn't even need to reinstall those tiny pain in the ass little sheet metal screws. Sealed over the holes most excellently!!!:smoke2:

Thanks. What width did you use - 1/2" or 1/4"? I found some 3M auto molding tape. And you are correct, they were a PIA to get out, can certainly believe their will be a frustration getting back in.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Thanks. What width did you use - 1/2" or 1/4"? I found some 3M auto molding tape. And you are correct, they were a PIA to get out, can certainly believe their will be a frustration getting back in.

You will want to use the 1/2 to be sure to be wide enough to cover the holes completely. It is the perfect size and will not show. I ordered the tape off Ebay and for just 2 drip rails you will need approx 9-10 ft. that will give you a bit to play with. It is also what I attached my fender badges with as the plastic studs were broken off. That has been over 10 years now and still as good as the day I reattached them.:smoke2: Good Luck!!!

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You will want to use the 1/2 to be sure to be wide enough to cover the holes completely. It is the perfect size and will not show. I ordered the tape off Ebay and for just 2 drip rails you will need approx 9-10 ft. that will give you a bit to play with. It is also what I attached my fender badges with as the plastic studs were broken off. That has been over 10 years now and still as good as the day I reattached them.:smoke2: Good Luck!!!
My badges are also double sided tape on also. That was seven years ago.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
I have a 1978 C10 and I have removed the over the window drip rail to clean them up. On the back of the drip rail, there appears to be a seal, so metal isn't touching metal? Does anyone know where to find a replacement seal, or what can I use to replace the seal. Or would this be an option.

Thanks

Yes, like Paladin says. The 3M tape works great, I found it in grey, carefully lined up to the 90 degree edge and then trimmed with a razor blade. Looks Great! Be sure to get the trim & Emblem tape..

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks to everyone. I have ordered it. Until it arrives, I will work on getting the old seal off. Any suggestions on best/easiest way to get it off safely without kinking the trim?

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 305
Thanks to everyone. I have ordered it. Until it arrives, I will work on getting the old seal off. Any suggestions on best/easiest way to get it off safely without kinking the trim?
Heat..thin flat blade, silicone lubricant, patience

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
HI-HO, HI-HO it is off to work I go........;)

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I used 1/2" and it slightly oozed out one side or the other depending on how straight I got it. It doesn't really show because my truck is dark blue, but I know it's there. Once the paint is cured really well I will probably use something to peel the excess away.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 305
I used 1/2" and it slightly oozed out one side or the other depending on how straight I got it. It doesn't really show because my truck is dark blue, but I know it's there. Once the paint is cured really well I will probably use something to peel the excess away.
Apply the tape proud of the edge, then trim flush with a new razor and there's nothing to ooze

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@My78truck
Just removed mine. They were stuck well, but I ran a putty knife under them and just slowly pried them off.
I wasn’t worried about scratching the paint so you may want to mask the paint if you’re not re painting.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Apply the tape proud of the edge, then trim flush with a new razor and there's nothing to ooze
On a similar note, did the backsides where the screws are come painted truck color or chrome?
Mines been re sprayed and that surface is truck color.
Unsure whether I want to strip that paint, of repaint that surface.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
On a similar note, did the backsides where the screws are come painted truck color or chrome?
Mines been re sprayed and that surface is truck color.
Unsure whether I want to strip that paint, of repaint that surface.

When I cleaned of the seal/gasket off the backside of the rail, it cleaned up chrome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat