Drip rail woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
I picked up a set of drip rails for dirt cheap and it came with the hardware as well , unfortunately the hardware does not tighten up or secure the rails at all , I guess the P.O drilled the holes out larger ? There was no rails on the truck when I got it , just the holes , and they looked factory , so I went to Ace and bought some 8x1/2 hex head screws and even those just drop in and don't tighten up , should I go up to 10x1/2 screws or is there another solution ?

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I picked up a set of drip rails for dirt cheap and it came with the hardware as well , unfortunately the hardware does not tighten up or secure the rails at all , I guess the P.O drilled the holes out larger ? There was no rails on the truck when I got it , just the holes , and they looked factory , so I went to Ace and bought some 8x1/2 hex head screws and even those just drop in and don't tighten up , should I go up to 10x1/2 screws or is there another solution ?
One of mine had the double sided tape. But for your situation. Keep going up until you find the right screw.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
The screw head on #10x1/2 is just so large though compared to the hardware that the rails came with , but I guess I have no choice if I want to put the rails on. Thanks

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I remember this being a discussion on here about removing the chrome part of the drip rail and folding it back over the part you need to mount. on mine I used Phillips head screws not the hex. Rounded edges will slip around the chrome easier and add plenty of tape to keep from marring the chrome.
Or you can silicone the holes on the cab. Then self tap or self drill some screws next to the holes in the drip rail trim majigger

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Try the right size rivets?
Rivets ? They came with screws and everything I found online , LMC , Brothers , classic parts etc , only list screws . Are you saying to use rivets instead ? I could I guess . They definitely won't be coming off then lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
I remember this being a discussion on here about removing the chrome part of the drip rail and folding it back over the part you need to mount. on mine I used Phillips head screws not the hex. Rounded edges will slip around the chrome easier and add plenty of tape to keep from marring the chrome.
Or you can silicone the holes on the cab. Then self tap or self drill some screws next to the holes in the drip rail trim majigger
I was looking for a more factory look , but I just may try the the round Phillips head route and see how it looks . Thanks eskimomann209 ! That's why I love this forum , everyone is helpful on here . Not like on a bunch of the other forums where they talk **** especially if you don't do something to "your" truck the way "they" want lol

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
These are mine.
I also taped off the chrome and painted the “inside”

You must be registered for see images attach

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
These are mine.

I know you said one had foam tape, did you do the other? I need to take mine off at some point and fix the bubbles underneath. They are lifting off the body. I was thinking of putting some type of weatherstrip tape or silicone under them to seal them.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
3M double sided foam tape! This seals the existing holes. Just be sure to have them lined up perfectly because once applied they ain't moving! What I used on mine, works perfect!:cheers:

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know you said one had foam tape, did you do the other? I need to take mine off at some point and fix the bubbles underneath. They are lifting off the body. I was thinking of putting some type of weatherstrip tape or silicone under them to seal them.
I pulled them off before paint. After I reapplied it, I didn’t use the tape. I used the Phillips screws. I honestly didn’t know there was 3m tape behind the one when I pulled it ( sure noticed after I started) . It was some high quality stuff. But as mentioned above, you gotta hit it right on. Tape like that loves to stick.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
These are mine.

Looking killer man ! I saw you got a forever sharp steering wheel , how do you like it ? I'm looking at the same one you have but with the mahogany wood ring , it'll match my mooneyes tiki door lock knobs.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Looking killer man ! I saw you got a forever sharp steering wheel , how do you like it ? I'm looking at the same one you have but with the mahogany wood ring , it'll match my mooneyes tiki door lock knobs.

I like the wheel a LOT. I wanted the wood but this one was a gift. I figured if I wanted to, down the road, I can swap them. The “grip” is replaceable.
I had an old grant on there and it served a long life and needed to go. The hub on these are 10000 times better than the cheap grant ones.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
I like the wheel a LOT. I wanted the wood but this one was a gift. I figured if I wanted to, down the road, I can swap them. The “grip” is replaceable.
I had an old grant on there and it served a long life and needed to go. The hub on these are 10000 times better than the cheap grant ones.
You helped me make my mind up , guess I gotta get one now , I decided to go with the short hub for belly room LMAO [emoji28]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK