Drag Link - Modern Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
So about a month ago I posted a string here about a drag link. This is a modern option to the clunky Chevy design on all Squarebodys. Well, did some thinking, came up with a design, and ordered parts from RuffStuff. I now have a functional NEW drag link that will work with my 78 Scottsdale 4x4. This is DOM tube with left - right tube ends welded together. I then put in 7/8 HEIM joints. The pics show my steps, which aren't really that many....but it gets me the 15.5 inches of device that once was in there. The spacers aren't shown in the pic, but this guy should be able to articulate really well and make the steering very solid. Heims don't last as long as ball joints but the ease of replacement makes this just too easy to do....cheap too! Now time to clean it up, sand, and powder coat. Patent pending #752857841155689

Attachments

• IMG_6747.JPG
    IMG_6747.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6748.JPG
    IMG_6748.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6744.JPG
    IMG_6744.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6751.JPG
    IMG_6751.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 69
  • BZIZ2215.JPG
    BZIZ2215.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
No offense but that seems like a fair amount of work and money without actually improving the steering. You still have a super short drag link (compared to crossover ) so no added leverage on the system and the same old bump steer problems.

If you really want to improve to steering action/effort and reduce the stress on the frame then crossover is the answer.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm not sure what the gripe is here. We were all interested in talking about it... but it just wasn't what you wanted to hear. What you have done is simply waste time and money on something that is not the least bit stronger than the factory parts and they will wear out much quicker than the factory parts. There is nothing "better" or "modern" about heim joints for this application. But they look fancy and maybe that's what is most important to you. But from a reliability standpoint, this is not something that should be done by anyone that uses their truck often.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
No offense but that seems like a fair amount of work and money without actually improving the steering. You still have a super short drag link (compared to crossover ) so no added leverage on the system and the same old bump steer problems.

If you really want to improve to steering action/effort and reduce the stress on the frame then crossover is the answer.
I agree with crossover, except I only have a 2 inch lift. ORD, WFO and everything I've read say you need more lift. SO, we stay with drag link. As for the expense, dom tube was 7 bucks, HEIM 35, coupler 11. So no, not expensive and it was a good time designing and researching the needs for this.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I'm not sure what the gripe is here. We were all interested in talking about it... but it just wasn't what you wanted to hear. What you have done is simply waste time and money on something that is not the least bit stronger than the factory parts and they will wear out much quicker than the factory parts. There is nothing "better" or "modern" about heim joints for this application. But they look fancy and maybe that's what is most important to you. But from a reliability standpoint, this is not something that should be done by anyone that uses their truck often.
Don't assume what I want to hear Bucket. Your opinion isn't necessary either. The negativity spewing out of you now shows me you just a jerk. Ive seen you do this often here and its not appreciated. DO me a favor and keep your damn opinion to yourself. You have neither offered any proof of the old tech being any better or worse than this idea, so Id like to kindly say FU. When you have data you can post it and show me I am wrong. Until then piss off.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
50 years of these trucks running stock drag links, many only replaced once in their life. Greaseable. Plus the all the years before squares. 60's for sure I think 50's too I can't remember.

Bucket has a wealth of knowledge. Your 200 posts to buckets 27,000. Meh, what do I know.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You may not have spent $500 or even $100 but you simply haven’t improved the part. The heims are not sealed so, as stated, they will wear faster than a typical drag link end. This actually creates more work and maintenance.

Crossover can be done with about 2” of lift, you she research how.

I’m with bucket, his post may not have be what you wanted to hear and maybe there was a little sarcasm but you jumped straight to the name calling and FU’s - this paints a poor picture.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Don't assume what I want to hear Bucket. Your opinion isn't necessary either. The negativity spewing out of you now shows me you just a jerk. Ive seen you do this often here and its not appreciated. DO me a favor and keep your damn opinion to yourself. You have neither offered any proof of the old tech being any better or worse than this idea, so Id like to kindly say FU. When you have data you can post it and show me I am wrong. Until then piss off.

Whoa there guy. You were given the facts in your other thread. Yes, I said facts and not opinions.

Honestly, I would have kept my mouth shut if it wouldn't have been for the way you presented your little project in the first post. You went full on "used car salesman" touting how much better and "modern" your heim jointed drag link setup was with it's all NEW parts and how "Chevy's" original design was "clunky".

Heim joints are not new technology, they have been around for 80+ years. People have been making rod ended links for their projects for eons, you are not breaking any new ground. Ball type joints are still in use by all major manufacturers to this very day (nothing is more modern than the present btw) and they do it for damn good reasons. Reasons that were already pointed out to you. The only think "clunky" about either type joint is when they are worn out and guess which one doesn't hold up to daily road use for very long? And again, these are not opinions, they are facts. I don't give a rat's ass what parts you choose to make for your truck, but telling everyone on the internet that yours is way better than what most people use (based on your opinion, because you evidently just discovered heim joints and have no experience with them) is what I do have a problem with.

I see you have edited your original post now, but the way you worded everything, it's as if you were begging for a response like mine.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
50 years of these trucks running stock drag links, many only replaced once in their life. Greaseable. Plus the all the years before squares. 60's for sure I think 50's too I can't remember.

Bucket has a wealth of knowledge. Your 200 posts to buckets 27,000. Meh, what do I know.
Ya PD, your right. Why use any new tech on a 78 truck. Just use as is tech and standard stuff right? Listen to bucket cause he knows. Well, if he wasn't an ass about it we may have chatted. I don't care for ********. I also don't care to do something because" that's what we have always done." I watch a lot of rock crawler guys, blazer and suburban builders. These guys innovate and push the limits of the Squarebody design. SO, you can use your parts from Orielys and autozone. Im looking to build a truck thats not all over the road, rides remarkably well and pisses off people like bucket and yourself. Have a great day.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ya PD, your right. Why use any new tech on a 78 truck. Just use as is tech and standard stuff right? Listen to bucket cause he knows. Well, if he wasn't an ass about it we may have chatted. I don't care for ********. I also don't care to do something because" that's what we have always done." I watch a lot of rock crawler guys, blazer and suburban builders. These guys innovate and push the limits of the Squarebody design. SO, you can use your parts from Orielys and autozone. Im looking to build a truck thats not all over the road, rides remarkably well and pisses off people like bucket and yourself. Have a great day.

Ah, ok. I see the mentality now. If it works for a rock crawler then it must be great for a street truck too.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Whoa there guy. You were given the facts in your other thread. Yes, I said facts and not opinions.

Honestly, I would have kept my mouth shut if it wouldn't have been for the way you presented your little project in the first post. You went full on "used car salesman" touting how much better and "modern" your heim jointed drag link setup was with it's all NEW parts and how "Chevy's" original design was "clunky".

Heim joints are not new technology, they have been around for 80+ years. People have been making rod ended links for their projects for eons, you are not breaking any new ground. Ball type joints are still in use by all major manufacturers to this very day (nothing is more modern than the present btw) and they do it for damn good reasons. Reasons that were already pointed out to you. The only think "clunky" about either type joint is when they are worn out and guess which one doesn't hold up to daily road use for very long? And again, these are not opinions, they are facts. I don't give a rat's ass what parts you choose to make for your truck, but telling everyone on the internet that yours is way better than what most people use (based on your opinion, because you evidently just discovered heim joints and have no experience with them) is what I do have a problem with.

I see you have edited your original post now, but the way you worded everything, it's as if you were begging for a response like mine.
Take a hike Bucket. You are an *******....don't respond again. I don't care what problem you have with me. Your attitude is **** for a moderator. Gee did I piss you off about HEIM joints? SOOO Sorry. I don't care what I came off like and who the hell you think you are. You are not the source of all things square. I post to get ideas and share ideas. You post to skewer and cut down. You have no place being a moderator.

One last think about my experience with Heims.....that would be FU.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Ah, ok. I see the mentality now. If it works for a rock crawler then it must be great for a street truck too.
You are a small minded man. I get that now.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Take a hike Bucket. You are an *******....don't respond again. I don't care what problem you have with me. Your attitude is **** for a moderator. Gee did I piss you off about HEIM joints? SOOO Sorry. I don't care what I came off like and who the hell you think you are. You are not the source of all things square. I post to get ideas and share ideas. You post to skewer and cut down. You have no place being a moderator.

One last think about my experience with Heims.....that would be FU.

Yeah, I don't think I'm very pissed off. Have a good day sir :rofl:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128