Door speaker wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenneth W Larew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well I did it...cut up my doors. After a lot of deliberation it's what I came to. I have a set of 6.5 Infinitis to put in. Built a cover plate. Now I just need to run a wire to the doors. I'm looking for good suggestions for this. I have manual cranks and locks....no wires at all. I assume I'll need to drill and grommet 3 holes. Has anyone done this....pics?
Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kenneth W Larew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I will be hiding those exposed 1/4 bolt heads

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
My truck had no wiring to the doors, so I went to the junkyard and pulled a couple of the accordian-like rubber wiring tubes off a newer truck. IIRC you need to drill about a 1" hole in the door and the door frame, and then screw the metal bracket down that holds the rubber piece (it was riveted in the donor truck). I also taped the wires anywhere that they are close to any sharp metal in the door.

The catch is that there isn't enough clearance for a large bit unless you take the door off first. However, I also ordered a new set of door pins and did both jobs at the same time.

Bruce

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
If you look for mid 90's vehicles there is no metal bracket holding the door jamb boots. They press into place using just their own rubber. Using something like this may simplify installation a bit. Only problem is they are kind of big.

As for the holes. I would imagine drilling from the cab out would be easy. For the door I'd see if you can fit your drill and a bunch of extensions down the inside opening near the door handles otherwise it looks like the door needs to come off. Maybe a right angle driver would work? Another note, use some touch up paint inside those freshly drilled holes to seal the metal.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If you take your door(s) off,

scribe marks at 2 points on each hinge and keep track of any shims (don't mix them!) and put them back where they came.

BTW, Nize mounting job and Welcome!

Kenneth W Larew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks a ton everyone. I do believe the doors will need to come off. That's what slowed me down a little and got me asking questions...and glad it did. For some reason using stock parts from trucks with electric in the doors didn't occur to me. I will be visiting junk yards soon...or I may buy them from LCM. I'll post pics up when I get things finished ...thanks
Ken

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just drill two holes, and use a piece of hose to route the wires through.

Yours would sound better if you moved those tweeters up higher, closer to ear level.
Or some component speakers come with an additional tweeter bucket, that allows you to point them towards your ear.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I thought you could not mount speakers in the door because the window would hit them inside? I was expecting to have to use some sort of spacer to cure this. Is it really this easy?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
From the apparent condition of your doors, I'd keep them.
It's not that hard to swap in electrical internals and drill holes for the feed-thru once the doors are off.

If you can find electric equipped doors as nice as yours are then go for it.
Get every last inch of harness that you can without buggering them up and it should be plug and play.

Kenneth W Larew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I just drill two holes, and use a piece of hose to route the wires through.

Yours would sound better if you moved those tweeters up higher, closer to ear level.
Or some component speakers come with an additional tweeter bucket, that allows you to point them towards your ear.
You can't see it in the picture but they are pointed as high as I can get them....also consider I have infinity 3.5 s in the dash to raise the sound floor. The component set though will be doing most the "work" in the system.

Kenneth W Larew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I thought you could not mount speakers in the door because the window would hit them inside? I was expecting to have to use some sort of spacer to cure this. Is it really this easy?
I have manual windows so no problem other than cutting the door....I would also protect the speakers from water and some sound proofing in this location. I believe if you have power windows this is much more of an issue.

Kenneth W Larew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
From the apparent condition of your doors, I'd keep them.
It's not that hard to swap in electrical internals and drill holes for the feed-thru once the doors are off.

If you can find electric equipped doors as nice as yours are then go for it.
Get every last inch of harness that you can without buggering them up and it should be plug and play.
Trucks completely rust free. My brother spent years redoing it and painting every piece. Was there down into the smallest pieces till recently. Here are a few pics of the outside....not clean....in the garage. Should have it rolling in a few weeks!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Like I said, Keep 'em IMHO. I don't think you'll find anything that nize in the boneyard.

BTW, How about a good straight on pic of those rims?

Kenneth W Larew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Like I said, Keep 'em IMHO. I don't think you'll find anything that nize in the boneyard.

BTW, How about a good straight on pic of those rims?
Here you go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike