Door Panel Restoration ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reno81K20

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1981 & 1985
Truck Model
K-20 & C-20
Engine Size
350 4Spd & 350 Automatic
I'm wanting to pull all the interior out of a power everything truck and put it in a manual effort truck. One of the issues that came up was I got to looking at the door panels out of the truck with power windows/doors. I noticed the PO had cut big holes for speakers in both of the door panels.:Insane: So I thought maybe I could use the ones from the other truck. But those are way to grungy and dirty.

So now I was thinking that maybe it would be possible to fill the "power" door panels with plastic from the other truck then perform a restoration on them to try and make them look decent. Or should I just bite the bullet and buy new panels?

I attached pics of the bad panels and the dirty manual panel.

Any input is welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 225

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
I think it really depends how you want it to turn out. You could always fill the holes and throw an emblem over it. lol

Just curious, why the flip from power to manual?

Reno81K20

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1981 & 1985
Truck Model
K-20 & C-20
Engine Size
350 4Spd & 350 Automatic
Actually i'm wanting to go from manual to power in my 81 K20 4x4. The donor truck is an 85 C20 Silverado. And from one of my previous post on here it was decided to not swap the cabs out due to possible legal problems. Vin's on cab and frame not matching sort of thing. So i'm just going to trade out interiors. And I was just wondering if it's a good idea to try and save/fix what I have or just buy new.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
What about fiberglassing over the holes and upholstery over the plastic?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The problem with these panels is the pattern in them that will be lost when you try to do any work to them.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Then option B......buy replacement panels rather then trying to patch old ones. Lmc truck has them.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Actually i'm wanting to go from manual to power in my 81 K20 4x4. The donor truck is an 85 C20 Silverado. And from one of my previous post on here it was decided to not swap the cabs out due to possible legal problems. Vin's on cab and frame not matching sort of thing. So i'm just going to trade out interiors. And I was just wondering if it's a good idea to try and save/fix what I have or just buy new.

Ah, I misread the initial post. My apologies. I vote new panels, I think you'll be happy with them.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Then option B......buy replacement panels rather then trying to patch old ones. Lmc truck has them.

Exactly this.....Any repair you do on those especially due to the size of hole the PO hacked up will be noticeable and the panel is probably more brittle now that it was when originally cut due to being weathered so who knows how well any patch would hold up. So I'd either find nicer OEM panels can could be cleaned and restored or go through LMC.

Reno81K20

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1981 & 1985
Truck Model
K-20 & C-20
Engine Size
350 4Spd & 350 Automatic
Thanks for the replies.

Agreed, New panels would make things much better. And look nicer. I did pull one panel out of the truck with power everything and noticed a big glob of body filler inside the door. Further inspection shows it has had some serious body work done to the door. I pulled a small piece of trim off and then I saw daylight coming in from outside. HHmm wont be using that door anytime soon. So now I have to pull all the windows/door locks out of it and retrofit it into a new door shell. (Need to order the shell first) Also pulled the cab belt trim off and will be working on removing the dents from that soon. Now its time to get the LMC catalog out and dream of things I want/need.

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
I just finished restoring the door panels in my 86. They were worse than your tan ones. I degreased them, wet sanded with 60grit, 120, 220, 400 then degreased again. I used Duplicolor Vinyl spray paint and they came out great. I had previously tried some 2x as expensive vinyl dye (Color Bond) that was garbage compared to the duplicolor stuff.

This is after sanding them, I wish I would of took a pic with all the mud and grease that was caked on
You must be registered for see images attach

After, still drying
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dave84