Door Lock Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just replaced the doors on my truck and they did not come with the keys for the door locks. I replaced the handles (pain in the BUTT!) and the locks.... however I am having a problem. I can't turn the key to lock and then pull the key out....... I'm thinking that the piece inside the door isn't lined up right, but I've messed with it and messed with it and I can't figure it out. Does that piece bend or something?

I don't know a better way to describe it... but if I pull the door lock cylinder out of the clip that it goes in to in order to lock/unlock the door, I can pull the door lock knob up and down with no issues. But when I put it together, I can't push the knob down to lock it.

It doesn't look like you can put the clip on the back of the lock cylinder on any other way than the right way, but maybe I'm wrong? Help!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Might have left side/right side mixed up? Might need pics next chance you get to see what exactly you're talking about. I know you say you cant push the knob down but we kinda need to see what's going on inside the door while you're working it. If nothing else give it a shot of WD-40.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The door locks are the same for both sides, but the brackets that mount to them are different with the "D" cutout shape. They need to be referenced to the same side you took them out of.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The door locks are the same for both sides, but the brackets that mount to them are different with the "D" cutout shape. They need to be referenced to the same side you took them out of.

I'm guessing that is going to be my fix... I had no idea that they were different when I took those off. I took the door locks out thinking that the new ones would come complete and ready to re-install.

I'm going to try this tonight when I get home.... will let you know if it fixes it.

Thanks for the tip.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'm guessing that is going to be my fix... I had no idea that they were different when I took those off. I took the door locks out thinking that the new ones would come complete and ready to re-install.

I'm going to try this tonight when I get home.... will let you know if it fixes it.

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah I ran into the same problem. I swapped the pass and drivers side locks and didn't switch the brackets, here is a thread and pics for reference:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1529&highlight=door

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay I switched them yesterday and that fixed the problem. Now my doors lock. Thanks for the help.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
No problem, glad I could help. Thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara