Door Latch Mechanism on 1976 Chevy K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I was replacing the window felt strips on a 1976 Chevy K10 and I shut the door to go get something and when I came back the door would not open. I had the door panel removed from the inside and I think maybe that some of the debris from the dry rotted window felt fell into the door mechanism. The lock mechanism seems to be always engaged, even though it is not. I have tried to find a picture of the mechanism from inside the door, but haven't yet. I really don't want to dismantle the passenger door just to see the latch's workings. Anybody ever have this happen or know how to open a locked door?

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Charlie, Thanks for the welcome! ! ! I remembered I have an endiscope that I bought to look at the cylinder heads and I am going to look at it tomorrow.

I have looked online for any help, but have spent the last 3 hours looking to no avail. I will keep you posted. But I think I may be crawling in through the passenger door for a while.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
My door lock cylinder clip fell off rendering the lock useless. But my inside lift lock still worked.

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
My door lock cylinder clip fell off rendering the lock useless. But my inside lift lock still worked.
It is not the lock that doesn't work, it is the latch mechanism that keeps the door shut or allows it to open. I can't open the door now.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It is not the lock that doesn't work, it is the latch mechanism that keeps the door shut or allows it to open. I can't open the door now.

I didn't have any inside handle for a few months a while ago. I couldn't easily reach out to press the outside handle button either.

So, to get out of the truck I was reaching in/back to the lock mechanism and pulling up on the piece shown circled in red - I think. That seemed to override everything else :

You must be registered for see images attach

More detail and the parts list:

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks, but all the mechanisms for the outside door handle and the inside door handle are working, it just isn't releasing the Bear Claw that latches the door shut on the striker. The linkage from inside moves the arm that you circled in red and the locking linkage seems to be working. I think I may be screwed! I have ordered a new latch mechanism to see how the Bearclaw gets released when the linkage moves the release, and hopefully, I will be able to open the door and replace the mechanism.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128