Dome light housing reads resistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie7985

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I recently had an issue with my interior lights not shutting off when the doors were closed. I understand this is a constant power circuit with a ground created by the door jamb switches and I was able to isolate the problem to the dome light. This is a new dome light housing, as there was not one at all when I got the truck. With the housing installed, it grounds to the roof of the cab. If I let the housing hang in mid-air, it works correctly. The problem continued after I insulated the back of the terminals with mastic tape. Out of curiosity I used my voltmeter to test continuity across the housing and it reads resistance. It appears to be made of plastic and painted chrome. Has anyone ever seen this before?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yep. I wrote a whole thread about it. Cheap ass Chinese LMC parts. The housing is chrome plated and conductive. After blowing the fuse a few times I figured it out.

Charlie7985

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Were you able to find one that wasn't and if so where?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No. I used my Dremel tool with a sanding disc and just cleaned the chrome off all around where the metal clips make contact with the housing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400