Do I need a block heater?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ethan Keuning

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I have received conflicting opinions on if I need a block heater or not. Once she's done boing built, I'm going to be driving the square to school every morning at 6:30 AM. In Michigan, it gets pretty cold, so I'm wondering, do I need a block heater to make sure the engine is warm enough to start my carbureted engine? I would rather not have to drive my dads Hyundai Elantra to school on the coldest mornings!

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
No, but you might want to start it a few minutes before you leave so it warms up some.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
a block heater for an sbc is cheap.
a block heater will NOT hurt your starting ability if you plug it in but it's not really cold outside.
:)

a block heater can make starting easier in really cold climates, whether carb'd or injected, by make the 'rolling parts' roll easier initially.

as stated above, a block heater isn't required if you've got your motor running well and the choke system, whatever it is, is working properly.

i'm only here in missouri, and south central at that, and i plan on a block heater for my 2005 dodge hemi truck but probably not my square.

good luck.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have received conflicting opinions on if I need a block heater or not. Once she's done boing built, I'm going to be driving the square to school every morning at 6:30 AM. In Michigan, it gets pretty cold, so I'm wondering, do I need a block heater to make sure the engine is warm enough to start my carbureted engine? I would rather not have to drive my dads Hyundai Elantra to school on the coldest mornings!

It's probably beneficial for longevity of the motor and not being so hard on it starting, but not necessary. I would look at either getting one that sticks to the oil pan, or one that circulates the coolant. Don't get one of the ****** ones that replaces a freeze plug, they can leak and they don't do much for you anyways. The ones that circulate coolant can be plugged in to a timer plug that is set to turn on an hour or two before you plan on leaving in the morning. That will usually be enough to get it up to 50 degrees or higher and has heated the whole engine up including the oil. The oil pan ones will heat the oil up to about the same, but not the coolant or block.

Something like this is relatively cheap and should work fine. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/KAT...-H90nWtdaPqWBgx_5vaf_2sGAwxZkEtwaAviHEALw_wcB

It will make it easier to start and allow the heater to start working faster as well. It would just go in line with your heater hose.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It will help it start easier and warm up quicker.
I typically used a coolant heather that installed in-line with the lower radiator hose. It doesn't warm the oil, however cold starts aren't an issue IMO with 0W or 5W oil, at all IMO.
But the coolant heater gets heat in the cab and defrosters much quicker.
Agree, simple timer on the plug in to come on a few hours before startup saves some electricity as well.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Need, no. Want, probably. Like,absolutely.
I've had block heaters,I've sold all kinds of block heaters where I worked.Most of my customers, and I preferred the ****** freeze plug heaters. Having the block full of warm coolant there is a lot of thermal mass there. 15lbs of warm coolant and 200lbs of warm cast intake and block. Oil pan heater 8lbs of warm oil 1lb warm sheet metal. Anyway the engine starts easier and the heater works immediately.Your truck still needs to be in good mechanical condition without other issues, because you can't plug it in 24/7. They make a huge difference in the vehicles I have them in.

Last edited:

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
NEED - no.
Will it make life better as long as you make sure to plug it in? YES.

Best thing I had ever done on my diesel. I had heat before I would get to the end of my block - less than 500'

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
How many millions of these trucks did GM build? And how many had a block heater option box checked off on the order sheet?

These trucks were expected to start in any weather, by everyday people (gear heads, preachers, school teachers, all walks of life) without any drama or fuss.

If the battery, cables, starter and engine tune is good, I would expect the truck to start reliably -10 below zero. A block heater will make life with the truck easier, but you obviously don’t HAVE to have one

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
My dad's 84 burb 6.2 diesel had an oil warmer that we plugged in during winter when we lived in Illinois. It helped but, still had to use eather can on really cold mornings and that thing ran like a champ. I'd get one living up there.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How many millions of these trucks did GM build? And how many had a block heater option box checked off on the order sheet?

These trucks were expected to start in any weather, by everyday people (gear heads, preachers, school teachers, all walks of life) without any drama or fuss.

If the battery, cables, starter and engine tune is good, I would expect the truck to start reliably -10 below zero. A block heater will make life with the truck easier, but you obviously don’t HAVE to have one

Well said.

Being carbureted in cold weather doesn't mean too much. It will still start and run if everything is working properly.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
The current engine in my truck has a freeze plug style block heater, but it doesn't really need it despite running 20w50 since the clearances are so large that it will start anyways. This engine ir run to fail before I drop the new one I'm currently putting together into it.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I run a freeze plug block heater, carbed 350, a 100% noticeable difference starting up in below zero weather compared to not being plugged in. Makes the trucks life easier, and like others have said the heat builds up when first started way faster. Easy to install and cheap, good enough for ND winters, good enough for anywhere else in the country lol, my suburban saw -50 last year, didn't complain much after being plugged in.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Battery heater, oil pan heater, and engine block heaters all will HELP in cold weather in different ways. A coolant/block heater will help your cabin comfort and engine wear by helping the engine be warmer and thus some oil and metal parts are less prone to what causes most wear(start up, idle, cold engine). A battery heater will help extend battery life and help truck crank over easier, but a good quality battery and basic maintenance(keeping up electroylte, cleaning, clean terminals) will do a good job at that too. A oil pan heater will help your engine a lot at start because the oil will flow better and protect the engine quicker.

A block heater would be best for michigan since you live in the same climate as I do. Usually takes place as one of the freeze plugs on the bottom of hte engine where sometimes you might see coolant weep out if the seal isnt that great. If you see one leaking, make that the plug you replace with a block heater! 2 birds one stone kinda thing

I use one on my car and it raises the temp on average to 60 degrees regardless of how cold it is(i leave it on all night, i dont do a timer but its negligible on energy bill esp with home improvements to make more efficiency), if its fully warm when i turn the car off and i use it within like 12 hours, I usually have 80 or 90 degree coolant when i start my car. this cuts my warm up in half usually so i have warm air in cabin ASAP. I also block half my radiator with carboard so my radiator is less efficient and car doesnt cool down when i drive off as much. From my understanding 4 hours before you go anywhere will usually do the most a block heater will do for ya before you go anywhere. so a timer and an extension cord wouldnt be bad investments. I notice a good Mpg increase in less idle and less warm up time, but in a square im not sure how much that would extend.If you want better cold start id make sure your choke is working good and you have good fuel atomization and a good solid battery.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Something I noticed beings I use my truck for plowing, my fuel pump lets gas return to the tank when cold.. gasket/seals probably internally shrink enough to let fuel drainback, but it doesnt do it when warm. I added a check valve and will report how well it works when it gets really cold. We had a cold snap today so i will go test it soon. I would have to crank engine first, then use my pedal to get fuel because the fuel wouldnt be in the line/filter when i went to set the choke and squirt fuel in. Something to keep in mind

EDIT: just confirmed it helped startup, I actually flooded it by over priming but that tells me gas stayed up there. success?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128