do i have to separate the ball joints??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ok so my 78 c10 sits really low in the front and kinda bobs and floats on bumps at higher speeds, im thinking of changing the front coils... do i have to separate the ball joints or is there away to compress the springs and bring them out without disturbing the ball joints? Seems kinda like a stupid question i know....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ok so my 78 c10 sits really low in the front and kinda bobs and floats on bumps at higher speeds, im thinking of changing the front coils... do i have to separate the ball joints or is there away to compress the springs and bring them out without disturbing the ball joints? Seems kinda like a stupid question i know....
Nope gotta pop the bottom ball joint.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L

You can drop the control arm at the center. There are two U bolts that hold the cross shaft to the engine/front suspension crossmember. There is a lot less drama if you go that way.

The only trick is that when you go back together you have to hit the small alignment pin with the locating hole in the cross shaft. I usually mark it before I take it apart to help line it up during assembly.

K

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
You can drop the control arm at the center. There are two U bolts that hold the cross shaft to the engine/front suspension crossmember. There is a lot less drama if you go that way.

The only trick is that when you go back together you have to hit the small alignment pin with the locating hole in the cross shaft. I usually mark it before I take it apart to help line it up during assembly.

K
I think i get what your sayin.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
$200?! Jeez. Lucky, lucky, lucky...

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ya know, if you were to pop the ball joints to put new springs in her you are only a couple short steps from installing new ball joints....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ya know, if you were to pop the ball joints to put new springs in her you are only a couple short steps from installing new ball joints....
That's a given......

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
True.... but if im goin that far why not add tubular A frames too. Lol oh yea because its my daily driver and i dont have the time or cash. Also why after all these months i still havent changed my leaky wheel cylinders or rear braked (all brand new in the box on the pass. floor)

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
True.... but if im goin that far why not add tubular A frames too. Lol oh yea because its my daily driver and i dont have the time or cash. Also why after all these months i still havent changed my leaky wheel cylinders or rear braked (all brand new in the box on the pass. floor)
Ummm because your a lazy ass....:buttkick::D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat