DIY4X dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
who has em? I am going to oder mine today and would like to see how your gaugs are laid out. I saw all the videos online with skull crusher and the other guy with the camo truck. curious to see yall views on it, how much did you cut, what options did you get, ect.

my dash is still good, so a little nervous thinking I might be making the wrong decision, however my factory gauges don't work, my heater doesn't work....and honestly having working aftermarket gauges would be sweet. and I'm pretty sure once I got all the dash stuff out of my way I could fix the heater.

thoughts everybody?

also is there a market for a good factory dash?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I bought one used a few months ago but, like you, I'm scared to commit to cutting the old one out. The one I bought is very basic, no glove box or hvac options. I'm actually thinking about selling it if you interested.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I say don't do it! Especially with the ease of installing aftermarket gauges in these things.. Maybe I'm just a fan of the classic look..? However, one of my best friends has his dad's '87 3/4 ton Silverado which he ordered brand new, that he decided he was going to make a full time pulling truck, so he stripped and cut and ground and removed and now all the factory metal in the dash is gone, and he wishes he would have never made that first cut. because now he can't even dream of putting it back to original without a TON of work! not only that, but if you got the skills and the means to install someone else's custom piece, you could possibly modify or build your own! But, that's just my .02..
:cheers:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Have to agree with QBuffer...
And I think the DIY dash is really ugly...
Stick new gauges in your original dash... keep it purty!

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would suggest picking up a no gauge cluster from the junkyard and build one out of it. That way if you don't like it you can throw the original back in. I did this for my toy. Its not a DIY4X one but...

You must be registered for see images attach

Sharkey

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I would suggest picking up a no gauge cluster from the junkyard and build one out of it. That way if you don't like it you can throw the original back in. I did this for my toy. Its not a DIY4X one but...

You must be registered for see images attach
Dumb question I think.When you say Toy do you mean Toyota?What size gauges are the Speedo and Tach.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Dumb question I think.When you say Toy do you mean Toyota?What size gauges are the Speedo and Tach.

Toy as in play toy. Its a Nissan Hardbody D21. Speedo and Tach are 3-1/2" each (maybe 3-5/8" don't remember), the others are 2-1/4".

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I vote do it! I am contemplating doing it in my suburban. I think the DIY4X dash is simple and clean looking. You get to start with a blank slate. No funky curves or miscellaneous tabs or sheet metal bends to work with/around. If you want to add switches for accessories, it would be easy to lay it all out the way you want it. Plus, like you said, gives you a good reason to get in there and clean up behind your dash, fix the heater, etc. Take LOTS of pics if you do it!

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I say stick with the factory dash and you can easily build a panel for a new gauge cluster out of some bent sheet metal. I think the diy4x dash would only really work well if you're planning to build a full rock crawler or truggy. But i'll say i'm biased in that I love the way these old trucks look from factory.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I like the looks and layout of the factory dash.

With that said, it's easy to pull the dash in a way that it can be reinstalled later if wanted. With the windshield out, there's a series of spotwelds to drill out along the top. Then it just unbolts from the inside cab walls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28