Distributor Wrench Alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I want to pull my distributor to prime my oil before I start my truck for the for the first time in 28 years. I couldn't get any conventional wrenches on the distributor bolt so I went to AutoZone and got a distributor wrench. I drenched it in PB but it was so seized that I put a full twist in the wrench while trying to remove it. I guess I assume it's not left hand thread... I also got a 9/16" swivel head ratcheting box end but that didn't have the clearance to fit on the bolt. Are there any other ideas for removing that bolt? Do I have to suck it up and buy a Snap On wrench? Fab my own?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
What I did was take my oldest most beat up 9/16, put it in a vise, and smashed it with a hammer until it had a nice hook bend on the end.
Works perfect everytime, didn't cost a penny.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You could try a crows foot. I've always done it with a regular wrench until I got some of these longer flex head ratchet wrenches, but they aren't necessary

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Cuss and swear with a regular open end wrench, or a crows foot works lol

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have one of the cheap distributor wrenches and the problem I see with it is that its a 12 point opening and its not machined very cleanly/closely. It doesn't get a good bite on the bolt head, so its hard to get the torque you need. I would look for a better quality wrench, preferably a six point opening if you want to apply more torque. The six point will be harder to get positioned, but will fit tighter and have better contact with the bolt head than a 12 point.

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
anybody know if I can get it with a plain offset box end? I'd be nice if I could find one that was a 6-point like 75gmck25 said above. I'm not sure they exist unless I make one myself

You must be registered for see images attach

HookChain

Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Step side
Engine Size
I took a thin kerf wrench, threw some heat to it and bent it to the shape I needed

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have one of the cheap distributor wrenches and the problem I see with it is that its a 12 point opening and its not machined very cleanly/closely. It doesn't get a good bite on the bolt head, so its hard to get the torque you need. I would look for a better quality wrench, preferably a six point opening if you want to apply more torque. The six point will be harder to get positioned, but will fit tighter and have better contact with the bolt head than a 12 point.
if someone finds the thread size.. could one... get a standard sized 12 point bolt? Just a thought. Not a thing to stay awake at night for but Im thinking myself, if I were to have it in and out anytime soon I would prob want that because I can barely reach that far back. If its both easy to position and has a lot of contact area then it would be nice but I dont know ify ou can get those like that.
My distributor wrench(s) are mostly 6 point, one is a.. mostly flare wrench , doesnt complete a circle but its... got like 5 sides and mostly surrounds, and its heated and bent to work.

consti2tion

Reaction score
First Name
Cw
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Although I'm sure you have solved your problem by now, it's funny I run across this thread, my brother actually gave me his home made distributor wrench this past weekend. He handed it to me and said " You're gonna need this more than I will now " since I just bought my suburban and he doesn't own any GM stuff anymore. I'll post up a picture later today. It's a shame it was made from a Par-X Combo wrench ( Snap On's lower line back in the 60's )

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Although I'm sure you have solved your problem by now, it's funny I run across this thread, my brother actually gave me his home made distributor wrench this past weekend. He handed it to me and said " You're gonna need this more than I will now " since I just bought my suburban and he doesn't own any GM stuff anymore. I'll post up a picture later today. It's a shame it was made from a Par-X Combo wrench ( Snap On's lower line back in the 60's )
Actually, I never did figure it out. I tried all of the wrenches I had and nothing worked. After I got it all buttoned up I remembered I had one of these combination "socket" wrenches and was curious if it would do the trick.

Attachments

• 2021-11-02_8-58-06.jpg
    2021-11-02_8-58-06.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 60

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Seems like on the 91 a 14mm ( not positive on that ) quarter inch drive socket and a low profile quarter ratchet is what we used. That damn socket would get stuck on the bolt pretty easily, though.

There are a pair of hard lines right in the way for the wrench, and you have to fit the socket and ratchet below the bottom of the distributor cap - a bit tricky.

Goldie is soooooooooooooo much easier to adjust timing on - the distributor wrench works like it should!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Actually, I never did figure it out. I tried all of the wrenches I had and nothing worked. After I got it all buttoned up I remembered I had one of these combination "socket" wrenches and was curious if it would do the trick.
did it? also just saying I stood on a ladder in a 90+ humid shed with no fan in the world enough to not profuesely sweat and i craned over with just one arm to reach the bolt on the hold down and this truck sits high and im not tall :( I got the bolt iwth a swivel ratcheting box end wrench. broke it free with the jaws(THANKFULLY IT WORKED FOR THAT) then the rest was little by little ratcheting and i got it. I did not install it very tight and will have to tighten more if i ever get roading with it. but it needs to be timed before I tighten it lol so it will stay mostly tight till I can get to that

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8